Advice for a beginner

bracket

Reaction score
Gentlemen I am in need of a steer. As a long standing coarse angler I am now having a dabble at beach fishing. I have done some feathering for mackerel at Chesil Beach and am comfortable with that. I would now like to try spinning lures from the beach. Initially I would like advice on what fixed spool reel to get. One of my daughter's has offered to buy me one and on no account will she let me put any money towards it. I don't want her to spend any more then £50 so any recommendations around that figure would be welcome. I would also be grateful of any other advice you might wish to offer. Thanks in anticipation. Pete.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Pete
Having only started lure fishing from the beach myself last Summer my advice should be bettered by those with a few years of experience behind them. However, I have quickly established that a cheaper reel won’t stand up to much wear when there is sea, sand and salt involved. If your not bothered about getting one or two years from a reel, then that’s fine, one of the larger Daiwa Ninjas seem to be a popular choice. If you can stretch the budget a bit then maybe have a look at the Penn range of F/S reels. I have a Penn Clash which has served me well but it has only been one season so far.

Casting distance can be a very important factor, I recently bought a used Tailwalk rod and a Shimano Ci4 X Aero reel, I can now cast at least a further 30 metres with ease using this superior set up. Just need to find the Bass now!

Enjoy your lure fishing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I would say that's good advice from s63 although I have been sea fishing longer but have never been a great one for comparing makes of tackle. I tend to buy on instint, I generally know what I want and what for and wait and see if I spot something, often as not second hand.
He is right about cheap models though, the main gear teeth tend to wear down quicker on them, probably cheaper metal or alloy. I had two Ryobi reels in the cheaper range and they both did that eventually. And one reel that was actually on a cheap carp set up the handle just snapped off one day. So you want one with a bit of meat to it and good quality.
Mackeral and bass can come quite close in to any beach or jetty but distance can be important so a "casting reel" is worth noting, usually with a longer spool than a ordinary fixed spool and make sure the line is loaded right up to the maximum.
It is often worth looking at the wind direction of where you intend to fish, the wind behind you makes a big difference too in your face as far as distance is concerned.
I have three carp rods which I like using but some would prefer a proper spinning rod but I just seem to do OK with a carp rod and they will handle most of what I catch and like to keep things as light as poss. I will often use the same gear and switch to a float set up when I get a bit tired of spinning.
As to lures, weight is important, heavier ones will cast further or you can add weight but make sure it will cast well enough without tangling itself.
Generally a clear sea is better for spinning so look for when it has been calm for a few days and the sedimnet has dropped out of the sea. They are predators and will be using thier eyesight looking for prey rather than thier sense of smell when the sea is dirty.
Anyway good luck Pete, let us know how you get on, it is very enjoyable and a few mackeral will give you a good bite and fight and a you will know all about if you hook a decent bass.

PS, just one more little tip Pete, try and get down to the beach at low tide if you can, then you can suss out any little rock crops or gulleys in the sand. and line these up with a beach mark like a building or something so you remember where they are for any future fishing trips to the same spot. You dont want to be casting into the rocky bits but to the side of them and dont ignore the spot where the pebbles meet the sand even if it is close in, fish follow this sometimes as it is a food trap.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
I'm assuming being local you know about the dangers of Chesil Pete, it's worth pointing out to anyone who ventures there on holiday how there's the habit of rogue waves on a flat day.

That said you're going to have a great time down there learning the marks for fishing, it's a great area, even folk from Devon come up to Dorset for the sea fishing

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark’s suggestion for loading the spool to the rim is fine with mono but don’t do that if using braid, wind knots will spoil your fun.

flightliner

Reaction score
I wish the sea was nearer to me, just to far to go but always fancied it !
Some good replies from those that do !!!

steve2

Reaction score
The only thing I would say is don't do what I did and put your reels away without cleaning them. If you do the salt will soon corrode them.

bracket

Reaction score
That said you're going to have a great time down there learning the marks for fishing, it's a great area, even folk from Devon come up to Dorset for the sea fishing

Not just from Devon Artist. My experience so far is that one needs to be multilingual when visiting Chesil. Pete

bracket

Reaction score
Thank you for all your advice it is much appreciated and noted. With regards to the reel I opted for a Penn Pursuit 111 in the end which is sort of middle of the road. If I take to this lure fishing, which is something I have never done, I will up grade. Thank you all gentlemen. Pete.