fishing reel

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! That said I doubt anyone here can advise you. You would be far better chatting to your local Tackle store or fellow fisherman as to what suits the fish you are likely to catch and the rivers you hope to catch them in. You yanks trot but mainly lure fish so a baitcaster may be best. I fished for steelheads once in Spokane with a fixed spool reel and lures.

I'm bemused as to why British Anglers would have the answer to your question.

John Keane

Reaction score
Fly fishing is the only true way of catching salmon.

Or are you using a lead bowling ball and a downrigger?

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Fly fishing is the only true way of catching salmon.

Or are you using a lead bowling ball and a downrigger?

John, The only two salmon that I’ve caught (which weren’t huge) were caught on prawns, and that was definately a nice way to catch them.

NB: I haven’t caught any salmon since then, on fly or anything else, so I’ll have to reserve judgement on this subject :)

Keith

Last edited:

sylvanillo

Reaction score
The only time I've fished salmon was in Ireland.
Spent only 2 days but caught all of them using light equipment, in order to keep very mobile. I mainly used the Rapala Original Sinking and Husky Jerk. The reel I'll always count with is an Okuma VS. Mine is size 20 and probably too small if you mainly target salmon. That being said, it's such a pleasure to use it (14 bearings and really precise brake) that I've taken zander, perch, Spanish pike with it.

Okuma really does good stuff at a price which is much better than even Shimano or Daiwa.
On the Daiwa subject, the Legalis series is good stuff, too.

As others mention, it's good to visit a store. I purchased the Okuma reel in a small shop in Brittany, the owner advised the VS for trout and salmong and I don't regret that advice.

Anyway, the bite and fight that a salmon delivers is really worth some investment.

Last edited: