Sea Urchins

mikench

Reaction score
The season starts tomorrow for " la peche aux oursins" . They are not caught on rod and line but in nets and by scuba divers. I can't say I like them at all. The french love them but I think they are horrible.

bullet

Reaction score
Agree with you both there, the French like a few things that I'm not that keen on...Andouillete for starters....Shudder!

David Gane

Reaction score
I used to scuba dive and I remember once kneeling on a sea urchin and getting a couple of spines in my knee - through my wetsuit. They stayed in there months then one day came to the surface and just popped out with a little squeeze. A friend of mine used to carry a little gizmo like a hypodermic in reverse for sucking them out.

john step

Reaction score
I too got some spines into me but in Spain. Very painful. I wont go near them again.

mikench

Reaction score
Eating the roe from inside isn't for me. I give them a wide birth both from a swimming and culinary perspective.

John Keane

Reaction score
They are great if you are snorkelling and dive down and smash a couple with a rock. Fish magically appear from nowhere to feast on them and you have your own private aquarium.

Last edited: