Mersey Winter Boat Trip for Cod - Dec ‘19

John Keane

Reaction score
Off out on first Mersey cod trip of the winter on Friday on Size Matters out of Liverpool Marina. Great boat, great skipper, good bait, decent price. I’ll be uptiding and hoping for a few nice fillets for the freezer. I’ll post a report and pics when I get back.

liphook

Reaction score
Good luck JK. We were out with Captain Kev a couple of weeks ago. We had hoped to get out to the wrecks but were a day late with the weather -as usual! We uptided Kev's usual city marks and did OK. Be interested to hear how you get on. I've just had a good day on the prom at Otterspool keeping 4 codling between 2lb and 4.5lb, so there are few about:D

John Keane

Reaction score
Had a mixed day on Size Matters yesterday. The tidal ebb saw us fishing downstream from the Pier Head opposite the Wallasey Tunnel airvents. Plenty of cod from the off with the bloke next to me knocking out 4 before I’d even had a whiting! My luck eventually changed and my only cod of the day was the biggest in the boat at around 5lb. All of the cod were of a darker colouring than we usually get. Plenty of whiting including some big ones that some people kept.

In the afternoon we moved up-river to around opposite Harrison’s Advanced Tackle and the weather took a turn for the worse with the wind strengthening and heavy rain setting in. The boat was crabbing all over the place so I retired to the bridge with a cup of tea. It all lifted around 3:30 and the boat settled in the tide and we got back to uptiding.

The rain had ruined my lug so I went on to whole squid and had a couple of stonking whiting, a thornback ray and a good sized doggie!

All in all, a good day with a few dozen cod to the boat and the usual stream of tea and coffee and good banter.

John Keane

Reaction score
Cruising past the greatest city in the world!

Attachments

• 8EBD690C-967F-4950-8049-6EF6B63D303B.jpeg
    8EBD690C-967F-4950-8049-6EF6B63D303B.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 17A2EA69-CA18-4DAF-B71E-A1BCE42FD3A3.jpeg
    17A2EA69-CA18-4DAF-B71E-A1BCE42FD3A3.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 125

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice that John, and nice to hear the cod are about, barely ever see them my way and the same for large whiting. I saw a huge one in the angling times, just browsing it in the supermarket, I think it was over 4lb. Again never see them that size my way, 4 oz more like it. Glad you had a good day, nothing like a trip out in a boat I think.