Bass on lures

C

Chris Bishop

I fancy a change this summer so I'm going to try lure fishing for bass. I live on the North Norfolk coast and have some rough ideas of locations - anyone got any tips..>?

R

Rob Brownfield

Sea Angler did an article about bass fishing near Cromer.

Have a look at the Harris Angling website as they have the 10 ten favourite Bass lures listed, and u can but online.

As a guide, try Rapala Countdowns in blue and green mackeral and Rapala Slivers in silver and blue.

Goos luck..and maybe try the fly!

M

Martyn Wright

Try and get hold of a copy of Mike Ladle's book "Hooked on Bass". It's a mine of information and as Ladle is so keen on lures about half of the book is devoted to them.
I prefer floating plugs Rapala JS31 and Sliver and Bombers are good as they are a bit heavier for longer casts.
Don't worry too much about long casting though, my best (8lb) took it 6 feet in front of me.
Try different sizes as well. I have found that they can get obsessed on one food source like trout. an example was when I found some feeding on whitebait and caught nothing on bigger lures but did well when changed doen to a tiny Mepps. Just got to keep trying!
Give it a go, it's a great way to catch them.

C

Chris Bishop

I live near Cromer so I'm fired up for this year. I've got several plugs from Harris for piking but find them a little light for casting.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, have a look at the Harris site. They have some lures that the French use for Bass....ment to be brillient. Heavy but bouyant for long casts.

R

Rob Brownfield

Me again!! Right, I looked up sea angler again, the place they were fishing was Sherringham. Aparently there are rockie groynes pushing out to sea. Fish these and keep the lure close to the rocks. The far right groyne is ment tobe the best. Try and fish a falling tide into evening. Succesful lures were Rapala countdowns in blue and silver, Rapala Slivers in the same colour and Yozuri Arc Minnows. I reckon Bomber long A's would do the same job! They also cauht on the fly. All fish seem to come at the end of the retrieve, so watch the water at your feet.
They used a spinning rod with 15lb line. I reckon Braid would be much better, but with a leader of fluoro carbon line near the lure as they thought the bass were being spooked off by the line.

Anyway, I hope this helps...and leave some for me as I am comming down from Scotland in July for a bash!!

C

Chris Bishop

If you're coming down get in touch and we'll have to do a few sessions - I live a few hundred yards from the beach but never fish it...

O

O DAVID

RAPALA J13 ARE DEADLY IN AND AROUND FALMOUTH,EITHER FROM THE SHORE OF A BOAT.THE GREEN AND BLACK SEEMS TO BE THE BEST.

M

Martin James

Hi there Try fly fishing with poppers pick a nine or ten weight rod and floating line eight or nine foot leader Cheers Martin