Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flattie Spoons

Hi Folks,
    I'm thinking of trying a bit of sea fishing over the winter and have been reading up a bit about rigs, tactics, etc. Will be trying from Piers initially. My question is about flounder/flattie spoons. I've read that they are usually used by small-boat anglers. Are they any use from the shore/pier? How exactly do you fish them? Slow retrieve or are they supposed to flutter in the tide? Any advice much appreciated.

alan outen Guest

the way i was told to use them was to bait up as usual cast out and reel in a couple of feet wait 5/10 mins and reel in some more and wait again and so on, and you can use them from the shore as well(according to my local tackle shop)

Thanks Alan, that makes sense. Looking forward to giving it a try. Tight lines.

Kieran Hanrahan Guest

If you wait 5 to 10 minutes between partial retrieves, the crabs will have cleaned you out long before you get to the shore!

A few turns fo the reel, wait 30 seconds, a few turns of the reel, another 30 seconds... you can vary the time between the partial retrieves as I am sure it will depend on the location, tide etc. but the idea is that the fluttering spoon stirs up the sand. Coloured beads are a good addition if you are targeting flatties.

A watch lead (like a polo mint, round with studs) is another option for stirring up interest on clean bottomed marks (sand and mud).

If the mark is unknown, it is best to use a rotten bottom link onto the lead in case it gets snagged, and to use a plain lead, at least initially until you assess the lie of the land. Some people flatten a round lead to ease its passage, especially in mud. Your call.

Hope this helps...

alan outen Guest

thats probaly why i have not caught on them then. i try again without waiting so long.
    cheers Keiran.

Kieran Hanrahan Guest

No problem alan

I cringe when I think of the some of the gaffs I have made (no pun intended)... like the time I put engine oil in my first batch of rub-a-dub! :-)

Any sign of captain Birdseye when you were out there Senan?