Cooking hemp

G

Goose Ganderton

put the hemp in a pan fill with water and bring to the boil then reduce heat so i just simmers, leave it to simmer untill the hemp splits open and you can see the white of the inside of the seed. give it a regular stir so you can check that all of the seeds are open and thats it. ease peasy tony and once it is cooked you can freeze it for later use.

C

Carp Angler

I always soak mine for at least 24 hours first as this means I don't have to boil it for so long. If you are using a pan make sure it doesn't boil dry.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

I like the traditional thing of adding a spoon full of bi-carbonate of soda.This makes the hemp darker.

S

steven docwra

The easiest way to cook hemp seed is in a thermos flask overnight and add a small amount of turmeric to turn it yellow.

C

Carp Angler

Steve, has adding the tumeric improved your catches? Apart from adding sugar to tigers so they turn syrupy, I have not found any additives that make my particles more attractive.

R

Ray Walton

Steve.. why do you turn it yellow?...and budge.....why make it darker? Hemp is a drug and gives em' a buzz! That, why its such a good attractor!

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

You know me Ray I am just an old romantic at heart.Best not start the drug thing up again otherwise the calls to ban it will be heard again!Do you remember all that old cods about it slowing the fish down?them people must never have seen how quick a Roach could have your float under when using hemp!

S

steven docwra

The Turmeric has improved my catches in the autumn and winter when I am fishing for roach on the rivers. I prefer to flavour both my bronze maggots and hemp with the Turmeric because it is a known fish attractor. As for turning the hemp yellow this is a side effect of the turmeric and seeing as i am feeding bronze maggot i dont think it would do any harm.

T

Tony Derrick

Thanks never heard of using Turmeric before I my try that thanks.

P

paul greene-taylor

Have u ever tryed adding a tablespoon full of sugar to the water wilst boiling the hemp ,just to sweeten it up a bit it used to work for me.

D MCKENZIE

Reaction score
A carp angler i know uses hemp and says he always adds salt as well as bi-carb

The Monk

Reaction score
Sugar, add sugar/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, after 8 years though it should be ready now!

what ever happend to Goose Ganderton anyway?

B

Bully

Now thats just cheating.......

And for the record I think hemp is best untouched, and I do much as Rik, soak and then just pour boiling water and cover.

M

Mojo

Monk, do you still add a dash of Yorkshire Terrier to your hemp? /forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif

M

Mojo

Not bad thanks m8y, itching to get the rods out again (waiting for the weather to improve, I'm not as hard core as I used to be!). Hows yourself?

The Monk

Reaction score
same here mate, working all the time these days, not been out for a while

tinca steve

Reaction score
HEMP PREPERATION

Unprepared hempseed can be harmful to fish.
To prepare hempseed soak for 24 hours. As the soaking process is happening look at the level of the water every couple of hours as it will need to be topped up.
When any seed is boiled or heat treated the molecular structure and nutrition including attraction properties are denatured and damaged. So this means the less boiling time required to make hemp suitable for use the better. The longer the pre-soak, the shorter the boiling time.
Boil then bring to a rolling simmer until the kernel splits,
Allow to cool in the water,.
Do not throw away the water use it to make up ground bait.

If at certain times you have difficulty in making the seed split don’t panic.
Hemp seed that is not fully split will not damage fish, it simply won’t release the same level of natural oils as usual.

One trick that many anglers use to make a larger quantity of cooked hemp is to pour your dry hemp seed into a cool box , cover with at least 1 inch of boiling water put the lid on and place a heavy weight on top to seal it. Then next morning your cooked hempseed will be ready for use.

To improve the attraction properties leave the seed to soak and partly ferment in their naturally occurring sugars that remain in the boiling water. After several days most particles will start to form a caramelising liquid that makes the final particle much more attractive to fish.