1st Fishing Trip!

Bernie

Reaction score
I have recently bought a fishing starter kit with 12ft rod, reel, floats, hooks etc etc. I am going for my first fishing expedition in a good decade to Lindholme Lakes in Sandtoft near Doncaster and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on these lakes such as which part to fish and using what type of bait.... Any help would be much appreciated!

P

Phil Heaton

Lindholme has two well stocked match lakes, a trout (fly only) lake and the old lake which holds good tench and carp.
I would recommend that you fish one of the match lakes, pellets, sweetcorn,luncheon meat and maggots will catch all day. But be prepared with at least 4lb hooklengths, as there are some good fish stocked.
When you get there you will find that the owner and his wife will both be on hand to offer good advice and are both interested in your fishing needs.

Bernie

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Phil!
I've got my starter kit and I bought my licence from the post office at lunchtime so all i need now is sweetcorn, luncheon meat and maggots(dont know what pellets are!) and I'll be ready to go i think!
What size are 4lb hooklengths? I only know hooks by their numbers such as 16, 18 etc
Any advice on what time is best to fish? This may sound daft but im a real novice!

P

Phil Heaton

Have you bought hooks to nylon?, if so the line on the hook is called a hooklength. For Lindholme size 12, 14 and 16 barbless hooks to 4lb line would be suitable, with maybe a 5 or 6lb main line.
Start with the bigger hooks and a suitable sized bait, the fish there are not shy. Afternoons are maybe better at this time of the year due to the sun still warming the water. Call at your local tackle shop for advice on pellets as the range is enormous.
I would also suggest reading a few Improve Your Coarse Fishing magazines and of course you can ask anytime here, lots of people will be only too glad to give you advice.

Bernie

Reaction score
Yeah I have got 5 hooks to nylon, I think they are all the same size (18) though. I'll have to buy a few more larger hooks when I go and get my bait.
I'm glad you said afternoons are better, I thought I was going to have to get up at the crack of dawn!!
I have printed off copies of the First Class Fishing articles from the beginners section of the site, I'll try and have a read through them tonight and tomorrow before I fish at the weekend.
Thanks again for your advice!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And welcome to the wonderful world of angling.

But beware, the bug is going to bite.

Bernie

Reaction score
Well my first fishing trip was not a total waste, I caught 3 fish in 7hours, not many but I guess 3 is better than none!

A guy there caught 105lbs worth, putting my 2.5lbs to shame somewhat!

My local tackle shop's owner told me casters and pellets were good bait for the lake, but i struggled to get the pellets to stay on the hook so i used mainly casters, but they didn't bring much success.

It's left me feeling a little less enthusiastic, but I think I am going to risk another trip somewhere this weekend.

D

Deck Monkey

Trick is to ask the dude who caught 105lb what he was doing. You might not be able to replicate that but you can at least learn from it and thats the best way to improve your catches.

P

Phil Heaton

Bernie,
Try to improve at the same lake, as your catch rate and confidence increases then try other waters. I am certain that the other bloke was not on his first outing so do not despair.
Did you feed the swim at all, the large amount of fish in there can soon mop up a small quantity of bait, then move on, therefore try a different approach, keep a small bait such as micro pellets going in at regular intervals.

Bernie

Reaction score
Yeah I was feeding the swim throughout, started to think I shouldn't because a bloke opposite me was catching regularly but i never saw him throw in a single thing, but I carried on doing it.

There was a really helpful guy on the peg next to me, he pointed out that the people catching were fishing very shallow while I was on the bottom, and he also gave me some smaller shot because my big ones were maybe scaring the fish. If it wasnt for him I think I might have gone home still looking for my first catch!

On the up side I got a great sun-tan, it was a beautiful day on saturday!

I may go back there this weekend, it was just quite frustrating seeing people catching fish all day while I sat there wondering what I was doing wrong!