Weighing small fish

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
I would like to start fishing for Dace. The scales I use at the moment are not suitable for such small fish. Can anyone recommend suitable scales and what is the minimum/maximum weight of fish I can weigh.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Weight the fish in an asda bag or similar. They weigh nowt and have holes in the bottom to drain the water.

I have a set of Avons that weigh to 40 lbs in ounce divisions. They are very accurate. However there may be other on the market that may be better.

Years ago I used to have a lovely Salter Spring balance that weighed to 6 lbs in 1/2 oz divisions. I don't think you can buy such a thing these days.

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback Ron.

I think the way to go is with the Salter type balance scales as you suggest which weigh in drams ounces and pounds, ideal for Dace.

Only trouble is I can't get em. Salter don't appear to sell that type any more and tried advertising on Gum Tree and UK fishing to no avail.

Has anyone got any for sale or can you advise me of the modern equivalent ????

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Reuben Heaton do a 12lb x 1/4 oz scale that is very accurate, but they do cost around ?90. These are much more accurate than Avons for dace. I've got a set, my only problem is catching a big dace at the moment!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The cheap way out is to use a lever to amplify the sensitivity of your present scales - tape an eye to one end of your landing net handle or similar,and carry a matching hook to attach to a handy tree/fence/bankstick; rig up a hook for the other end, to take the weighing bag/net, and attach a loop for the balance hook betwen the two. If the balance hook is half-way between the hooks, you'll double the sensitivity of the scales; if its one quarter of the way from the fulcrum (fixed end - tree etc) to the weigh-bag youll covert querter-pounds into ounces;if your maths are up to it you could even covert imperial to metric.Calibrate the sytem with kitchen weights to convince yourself and your buddies!
Conversely, if you have a thirty-pound pike and twenty pound scales, you can double their range by putting the balance at the end of the lever and the fish in the middle.
The BRFC might not accept it, but if you think you've caught a record, phone for a reporter with the right scales!

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, RH are sending me some info.

Thanks too to Alan, very interesting post. My maths are not too hot and I tend to rove a lot so not sure about this method for river fishing but will give it a go.