Cat Deterrents

D

Danny Lancaster

Does anyone know what the current laws are regarding cat fouling. I am getting really miffed with my neighbours cats fouling up my garden EVERY morning, to the point where I am going to end up getting myself in bother for rigging up traps etc..

If anyone knows any kind of detterents for them also I would be very grateful. Tried those pellets/powders from supermarkets/garden centres etc.. but they dont work, and tried the bottles full of water trick.

Many Thanks

Dan

S

Shrek

Don't know if this is for real, but some people swear by Lion Poo. Apparently, of you go to the nearest zoo they'll let you have some, then spread it round the garden and it's like there's a bigger cat than the one currently fouling your garden and they leave you alone.

A friend also has a device that is akin to an automatic water pistol. It's fixed at ground level and when the cat walks through the beam, it shoots water at it. Have to have a constant supply of water to it, so not much use in the winter, but worth a go as well.

Personally, I want to go down the "Shoot them with an air rifle" route, but my wife won't let me. Mind you, I think we have a fox pooing in our garden rather than a cat. The reason for this is there is a freshly dug vegetable patch in our garden but the poo is always on the grass. Can anyone clarify if our suspicions are correct? If so, then I'll get the local hunt in !!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Danny,
There are no laws as to cats crapping in your garden, a cat has the right to roam.

Best deterrant -: A cat of your own.

Fox crap and wee is unmistakeably strong, much stronger than a cats. look for any fox hairs where it may come through a hedge or jump a fence. Get a book out (wild animals of Gt Britain) and compare the shite in your garden with that of a fox. Or get the shite and disect it and look for small animal bones etc.
Hope this scientific explanation helps.

D

Danny Lancaster

Adrian, the amount of times the mrs has had to stop me going down the "get the air rifle out" route is unbelievable! Or the "tin of catfood laced with mini-treble hooks" approach, or the "quick, try and coax it into the car and I'll take it for a ride" trick.

I may give the Local Authority a ring, see if theres anything that can be done. There must be around 12 cats that live in my street, only one of which has an owner that actually keeps it in check. The others are just left to roam, go for a dump in my garden, then off home for a feed and out roaming again.

alan

Reaction score
there is a thing you can buy that gives out a very high pitch noise(too high for us to hear)that cats dont like, its meant to keep them out of gardens. i use a small bb gun that fire plastic ball about 10 meters(ma and the kids shoot eah other with it) it dosnt harm them just scares them.

alan

Reaction score
the other way is to find out how the come in the garden, if it is over a fence b&q sell a strip of batten with wooden dowls in it to go on the top of fences, again all it does is stops them climbing on the fence as the dont like the feel

D

Danny Lancaster

Their coming through the wrought iron gates at the front of the drive alan.

Are there any natural deterrents out there I wonder?? Eg, certain plants/shrubs that emit a undesirable smell to them. Any biologists out there?

S

Shrek

Shame you can't get bigger versions of the venus fly trap, or the pitcher plant !!!!

alan

Reaction score
ive heard of orange peel being used to keep them out, but not sure if it works. have a word with a gardening shop to see if there are plants they dont like.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What about the rights of the poor old fox then?
When you lot go out fishing, you piss and shit in their gardens don’t you?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From memory, fox shit is black,about three inches long,(77mm)metric and about the thickness of the adult males thumb, and pointed at one end. The other end is blunt where it has hit the ground first. The fresher it is the shinier it also is. Also it is full of vitamins.

S

Shrek

Sounds about like what I'm getting in my garden then.

What options have I got, without getting my collar felt??

D

Dave Slater

I believe coco bark is a very good detterant. You can get it from garden centres but I believe it is quite expensive. You would like our cat. She only goes in her own garden. The dog gets rid of any other cats that try to come into the garden. A dog is probably the best detterant. When we had our other cat one of the neighbours put a metal cat on a spike in a flowerbed. The cat went over to it and, after swiping it one, crapped in the flowerbed. I know it isn't really funny but I couldn't help laughing.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

All human knowledge is here!

Baz, where do you get to know all this stuff from!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am a man of means Nigel. King of the road.
Waste not want not.

If the turd is pointed at both ends, that means it has been done by a vixen, as they squat down, and it does'nt have far to fall.
Pointed at one end and blunt at the other is a male fox, they do it standing up, a bit like us really. The pointed end is usually the direction in which they walked off in.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Adrian,
The only thing I can think of is to sit up a couple of nights and try to frighten it off.

W

Wolfman Woody

Grab hold of the cat and paint its bollox with turpintine!

But....

Remember old Chinese proverb - "Don't kick the dog up the bum whilst your fingers are in its mouth."

In other words - animals bite, especially cats!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Adrian,
I also did a two year vocational course at Lancaster Univirsity in the study of shitology and craporhthms.

But monkey shit can be all shapes and sizes, depending on what they have thrown it at.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am currently part way through an open university degree in logorhythms.