Licence to kill cormorants

Joskin

Reaction score
I am about to apply to DEFRA for a licence to shoot Cormorants on our Club waters.
Has anyone else had any experience in trying to gain a licence?
Any advice to help me gain a licence will be greatly received.

W

Wolfman Woody

Yes, way back in 1996. Failed. You have to have tried all other methods first before they would grant you a licence and even then it's only to shoot 4 -6 birds a year. Not much good when you have 160 on your water.

Also, if you have public footpaths near your fishery or a housing or industrial estate - forget it. Your best bet is to contact your local EA Fisheries Department and speak to those lads. Many of them would love to help you.

Joskin

Reaction score
I have heard that it is alot easyer to get a licence these days.

P

Phil Hackett 2

I would e-mail Mike Heylin first before you do. Mike has posted on the NFA thread and can be contacted through the e-mail link.

Mike will give you good, sound advice about what you need to put in the application to present the strongest possible case you can.

W

Wolfman Woody

I'll back that up Phil. I know Mike is very outspoken on this and he and Terry Mansbridge have had quite a few conversations in the past.

The main thing Joskin, don't be put off. Get an application in even if you think it will fail. DEFRA otherwise will just say "No angling clubs are applying for permission to shoot so it can't be a serious problem." That's how they'll measure it.

Same advice goes out to all clubs - apply for a licence even if you think there's no chance. It's statistics.

Joskin

Reaction score
I want to kill them because they are eating all the small fish in our lakes and costing us around ?60,000 per year in lost fish. The cormorants eat 1-1.5lb of fish per day and when bream for example cost ?7.50 per pound that is one hell of an expensive bird food. I have been on one of our lakes at 5am this week and found 30 cormorants on the water. If that happens every day we will loose 180 4oz fish per day. we put 1800 Skimmers in that lake 3-4 weeks ago and at that rate the whole lot will be gone in 10 days.
Apparently the cormorants are comming inland due to the rivers and lakes inland being easy pickings in comparison with the ever decreasing number of fish at sea.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Try stocking with a large shoal of piranhas...that would cure your cormorant problem.

Mind you, you wouldn't have any fish left, but that wasn't the problem, was it.
Was it....?

I'll get me coat.......

M

Mike Heylin

Joskin

There is guidance on completing the licence application in the Moran booklet on Predator Control, which you should be able to get from Terry Mansbridge at NAFAC.

The MOST IMPORTANT thinmg is, if and when DEFRA refuse your licence, immediately apply for another, and as soon as that is refused, apply again and again and again, as often as you can.

Ben Bradshaw, Fisheries Minister, speaking at the Angling Summit in December told us he was minded to grant licences where possible and that he wants to change the status of these birds, BUT can only do so if the number of licence applications increases dramatically.

By applying every time a licence is refused each application is counted and BB will have a whole pile of applications to report and to justify his decision in changing the status of the bird. Even if you have public footpaths running across your water apply and keep applying. You may never get a licence but you will help to create the environment where you will no longer need one and with careful timing and thoughtful guns can control your problem yourselves without "permission" from DEFRA.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Dangle a worm and a fish will bite for sure!
Cheers Mike.

Joskin

Reaction score
Thanks Mike

I have the Moran booklet and various other literature and have now submited my application.
do you think that fisheries are not bothering to apply because they think that it is a waste of time and so they just shoot them any way.

W

Wolfman Woody

OOooooohhhhhhh. Noooooooo. They wouldn't just shoot them anyway, that's illegal and I'm sure it doesn't go an at all ;)

Told you so - Mike's a great help and like he says the more you apply the better it will get. I just wish every club with cormorant problems would apply.

Alan Browne

Reaction score
A theory going around the Bird Watching fraternity is that the Cormorants which are inhabiting the inland lakes are the continental race of Cormorant and not the British Race. The British Race of Cormorant tend to be specifically coastal, whereas the Continental Race are known to venture inland to fresh water.

As a birdwatcher, personally I have no problem with contolling the numbers of inland Cormorants, as long as it's done in a controlled and humane manner!

M

mel Crighton

What with illegal immigrants that we now have, illegal cormorants, what next????

J

jason fisher

i was against shooting them until we had sorted out the sea but if we are being invaded by the bluddi french i'm off to get my gun.

N

Nick Austin 2

My club has aquired a liscense... i think they can shoot two per month!....