whats a crappie?

Renato Ciler

Reaction score
this may sound wierd, but I'm not from England... What's a crappie? is that a silver fish that resembles a carp? There is a gold version too, atleast we have it

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Caught many in my life. One of the great range of American "Pan fish", called because a good one just fits a frying pan.

Best way to catch them is with a fly rod.

A pounder is a good one. They taste great.

D

Deck Monkey

Brought many a smile to my boyish face when I first heard the name 15 years ago but really enjoyed catching them in Ontario with my uncle (ex-pat Brit in the enviable position of being surrounded by waters with the biggest carp you ever saw which no-one fishes for except him!) as a teenager.

And they do taste great.

M

michael rouse

LOL.I used to have a fishing game when i was younger and when a certain species of Bass was caught it said "crappi".Until now i thought it was the game telling me that the fish was crappi.Used to crack me up that did.

Renato Ciler

Reaction score
HEll! whatever that is.. we don't have it in Croatia :) We have some sunfish, but much, much smaller.. and we hate them.. when they swallow the bait.. they swallow it... deep.. very, very deep....

Ok.. what's this then? how do you call it?
http://www.ribocentar.org.yu/foto/ribe/slicice/babuska.gif

latin name is "carassius auratus gibelio"

There is a gold version too.. 98% of the population are females.. so they spawn with males from similar species

Mike Douglas

Reaction score
Here in Missouri (U.S.A.) crappie is a common pan fish. It is very good! Folks around these parts pronounce it "croppie." ;)