Soft baits are a threat to your health!

R

Rob Brownfield

I have just received a pack of soft grubs and tube baits from a well known American lure manufacturer, Creme. Whilst chewing on one of the baits, I read the instruction leaflet that came with them. There, in tiny writing was a warning. It said, that the soft bodies contained a chemical that was known to give u cancer and that could cause birth defects in children!!!

Does anyone know what this chemical is...and how the hell can it be sold if it is so dangerous!!

C

Chris Bishop

You get warnings like that on all kinds of US stuff - inc lead weights (!).

I know some of them melt their way through lure boxes, so I imagine that wouldn't do you a lot of good.

What were you eating them for mate..?

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, I like to test all my baits in the bath. Its important to me that the bait "feels" right in my mouth and leaves no after effects such as a bad taste. I also test my rigs this way including dead and live baits rigs for Pike, and all my carp and tench rigs. For testing surface baits such as Chum, or top water working lures, I have to go to the local swimming pool where i will lurk around the deep end and rise up to the bait just like the real thing.

Another test i do is to set up a rod in the garden with some form of bite indicator, and run the line through an open window into the bath. I then pick up the bait and move of like a Carp to see if the indication method works or not, and wether self hooking rigs take effect!

next week i am going to venus!

lol

P

Philip Inzani

You could'nt pop down my local lake when I'm there could you, I can't get anything to take a bait at the moment.

....how much do you weigh now Rob ? (-:

R

Rob Brownfield

lol...pushing 11 stone...not my highest recorded weight..lol...but getting there!

A

Andy Doughty

The yanks slap COSHH (Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health) messages on every thing. I know this as I am a COSHH assessor at work and have to deal with lots of nasty chemicals. If a product is sold in California then it must be stated if it contains a chemical that 'may' cause cancer or birth defects. They just cover their arses so they can't be sued.

R

Ron Clay

Rob,

I am pretty sure the toxic chemical is in the plasticizer. DON'T suck or chew these baits at all.

I've often wondered if some plastic worms and other lure are actually dangersous to the fish. Largemouth bass will actually eat plastic worms of given the chance.

S

Stewart Bloor

''Chris, I like to test all my baits in the bath''.....
....You predator anglers are a weird lot...I usually play with rubber ducks in mine....

R

Rob Brownfield

Stewart, Rubber ducks are a good bait for old Esox...lol

S

Stewart Bloor

What are you doing on here....you don't know anything about predator fishing....last time someone asked Graham if he had a pike, he replied 'only when I do my English Civil War re-enactments'....'re-enactments', I hear you say...'wasn't Graham there in person'....No, he's not THAT old...he was in the Boer War, but not earlier than that....

S

Stewart Bloor

Rob, your reply came up after I posted, so I wasn't saying you shouldn't be on here, but the Boss. Actually, Rob, why don't you stay on here and stick with things you know about...and leave the stillwater barbel issue to me....hahahahahah

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Right, that's it. I'm going on another thread somewhere, where I'm going to get more respect and not be called an old boer.

S

Stewart Bloor

Sorry Graham, I didn't mean an old boer...I meant an old bore.....hahahahaha

R

Ron Clay

What you should do Graham is tell them just what the Seige of Makeking was like.

In future you will be known as Greame van der Marsden.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Was that a miss-spelling of the Cream Ron, or Graeme. No, don't answer that, I can't take any more.

S

Stewart Bloor

He also spelt Mafeking wrong...some South African him...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
These spelling mistakes are enough to drive you to boer...bore......bloordom. Ah, got it right at last.