Posting rods

D

Deecy

Does anyone know the cheapest method by which to send rods by post.

M

mel Crighton

had to send a rod back to the supplier it cost me just under 4 quid that included the packageing, 1st class recorded delivery
hope this helps.....

D

Deecy

Thanks Mel but who did you use,Post Office wont send tubes over 1.5 metres.I am hoping to send a 12 foot two piece.

W

Wolfman Woody

City Link are good, they work with a nationwide network of other couriers as well and they have never lost or broken any of my packages. Ask their advice first, you don't want it to arrive as a ten piece rod.

Joskin

Reaction score
I have used Parcelforce and it cost me ?12 to send a 12ft 2 piece in a tube. I just booked the collection on line.

F

Frothey

go to your local carpet warehouse type place.....free indestructible tube. i've used amtrak and city link in the past, about ?10 overnight.

D

Deck Monkey

Parcelforce and city link (replace the c with sh) are both bad. I have never had goods via them that hasn't been damaged and city link are noted for being riddled with tea leaves. My mate manages the courier desk and mailroom facillities for Deutsche Bank and he refuses to use city link as they are awlays late and incompetent.

Try ANC, UPS or Fed Ex - usually the best in the business.

W

Wolfman Woody

The cost of shipping would be more than the rods are worth. And UPS aren't without their faults either.

Fed-Ex get lost on islands don't they?

D

Deck Monkey

All depends on the value of the rod, as you say. Many employers that use courier services will allow employees to get parcels sent at company rates which is usually a lot cheaper, or at the very least, get friendly with your dispatch manager and they might let you!!

Best packaging is as robust a tube as you can find (without getting too heavy) cut to about 6 inches longer thasn the rod, wrap both ends in buble wrap so that the ends just fit in the tube and the wrap extends 3 inches or so beyond the ends of the rod. Also do the middle for long rods. This will keep the rod firmly in place in the tube. Don't forget to tape on the end caps of the tube - I know someone who forgot and his rod came out and was demolished!