Journey Back to Confidence

F

Frothey

welcome back rik (and not so big any more!)
its so easy for us to tell people "have belief, be confident", especially when your catching yourself, but i'm glad i'm not the only one that has these "crisis's"....and without having an 18 month lay off!

but then you never really did lose the knack did you :)

W

Wolfman Woody

What you've been through is close to my own experiences. A health problem created a lack of interest even when I went fishing and that in turn led to a lack of confidence and ultimately, no fish. That's all behind me now and I am back, albeit with slightly less ambition for catching big ones than you Rik, but fish nonetheless.

So many people have given up over the years it's a shame and the longer you're away the more convincing you need to get back. Any excuse not to go and you'll take it. You've done it now though Rik, congratulations.

I used to have a very wise and very old friend who was a Presbyterian Minister who used to say "You can stop believing in God for a while and when you're ready to accept Him again, He'll be waiting for you. BUT never stop believing in yourself because no-one will be waiting for you then!"

It was the second part of his message that was really important. That's what confidence is, believing in yourself.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Good article rik, hope your ok now.
I've only really just started doing a bit of carpin so take a lot of intrest in what yourself and others like Stu and frothey have to say.
Without guys like yourself there would be no one to ask for tips or advice apart from reading mags.

B

Bill Cox

Well done Rik i,m glad things have turned around for you.Speaking as someone who is going through some major personal reorganisations at the moment i know how easy it is to get distracted to the point where you think why bother .luckily for me i have a good friend who convinced me it was worth bothering and although my fishing is now through necessity only a few hours at a time i still remain positive and confidant .You and stuart have been a great source of help and information on here long may it continue.

J

jon cotton

Good on you Rik, I take my hat off to you. As Bill said, personal stuff takes a big slice out of everything, I know, i've lost it just lately, but reading your article puts everything into perspective.

"Snakes and ladders" as a mate of mine used to say. I just trod on a snake, but the next ladder ain't far away!

Tight lines mate, hope you get some good 'uns.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I have not got a feck what everyone is on about Rik, but by the posts you've come through something, and come out the other end smelling OK,,,,,and feeling better I hope?

Maybe Wol can elucidate for me??????

But then again!!!!!!!!

G

Gary Knowles 2

Never read so much rubbish in all my life !

You are all being taken in by an imposter ....

I know Big Rik and the bloke in the picture isn't him. Someone ( a slimmer, smaller version, but just as ugly) is doing an impression of him and posting on this site.

Aside from his appearance this Rik is ellequent, modest, and generous to his mates - couldn't possibly be the big, badger scaring, rib eye eating, port guzzling , geezer I know.

Would the REAL 'Carp Angler' please stand up, please stand up, please stand up...

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Well stated Rik, in terms that most can equate with, personal problems are always the most debilitating, eating away into every vestige of your soul. But, and perhaps most importantly, you obviously retained your humour,the overall sense of the things that do matter, and the friend(s) that cared. Nice one !!!!!!!.

B

Big Rik

thanks for all the kind comments, it's good to be back.

Barney, ?@(K off you poncy northern twat, I've always been generous to my mates, probably why you've never seen that side of me.
(is that better? just like the Rik of old ! !)

W

Wolfman Woody

Just looked again at the photo in his feature. Does anyone else think like me that this is really Tom Hanks?

Has Rik managed to supplant a Tom Hanks picture over his fish or is Rik really a stand-in for Tom Hanks?

Go on, have a look.

N

Nick Austin 2

Welcome back Rik. When i came on here you wern't on much, and when you came back the thread saying everyone was glad to see you again was massive. I wondered why?

Since then i have realised, when ever someone asks something you nearly always reply with another question, trying to get people to think for themselves,THEN offering sound advice once the discussion has got underway.... a VERY clever method of teaching!.

I know how you felt, i think, i lost about 8months of fishing through personal stuff, and i know how it feels to get back into it again and get back out on the bank!

TIGHT LINES!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Rik Gump, now that goes dont it.
Errrrrr lads, photo's dont do any justice, he's still one ugly looking mother ******

D

Dave Slater

I really enjoyed the article Rik. As Jeff hints this is something that seems to happen to us all, and we all seem to come through it eventually.

B

Big Rik

Thanks for spotting that Nick.
It has always been the way that I offer advice.
Answer somebodies question and they will ask you another, which is ok, but what happens when they are on the bank by themselves and are faced with a problem?

Give somebody the ability to look at and answer their own questions and they can then assess and solve the situation in front of them.

It works for some people, but not for others.

Tom Hanks?
Where did that come from?
More ammo for the likes of the 'Hock Hatrick Homo'

G

Gary Knowles 2

Ah ha - the real Rik has just come back.

What did you do with that skinny, forest gump lookalike Rik.

Tom Hank where did that come from? - Rhyming slang mate....

As in - Rik's dissapeared back into his bivvy for a Tom Hank.....

G

Gary Knowles 2

sick wol, sick.....

and here's me thinking it was growler juice all over his hands....