Photography

F

Fred Bonney

I recently bought myself,on the net, a Fuji finepix S3000,my first digital.
I've noticed already, the way the batteries are gobbled up,so,can anybody steer/recommend to me a good priced,battery charger.

The Hood

Reaction score
Best thing to do with regards to this, is to take out the batteries inbetween sessions.

I have a combined binocular / digital camera and the same happens with that, I use Duracell's but take them out most of the time.

Re-Chargeable batteries are not reliable enough for digital cameras as they loose their charge very quickly when coming to the end.

B

Big Rik

http://www.7dayshop.com/
only 95p P+P as well.
Bloody cheap, bloody good service too.

When buying batteries, get the biggest mAh that you can, this is the 'juice' that the battery holds, the bigger the milli-ampage, the longer it will last. (but the longer it takes to charge)

B

Big Rik

Sorry, Mr Hood, but I totally disagree, I bought 2 sets of rechargables, plus the set that came with the camera and keep them all together and recharge them when flat.
I have never run out and have never had to buy another battery.
and they last longer than standard Duracells.

F

Fred Bonney

Rik,that's where I got my camera and some printer cartridges,very good service and value.What charger did you buy?

The Hood

Reaction score
Maybe time for me to investigate this idea too Rik, cheers pal.

B

Big Rik

my charger came with my camera, I just bought some more batteries from them, Kodak I believe, 1800mAh, AA's.

I can't recommend a charger, just the company, I've also bought printer cartridges, blank CD's, blank DVD's, batteries etc from them and have never had any issues, even over the Xmas/new year break there delivery was only 2 days.

B

Big Rik

well it makes sense that if you buy a digi and never have to pay processing costs again, then why not buy rechargable batteries and never have to buy them again too.

Once the initial outlay is over, then it's totally cost free photography.

Works for me.

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks Rik,I've asked 7day for details of a compatable charger.

Colin North 2

Reaction score
Be very careful with re-chargeable batteries. Sue, my other half, used them in her Nickon F100 and due to malfunction/failure within the batteries, they short circuted, overheated and effectively melted the circuitry inside her camera. 800 odd quidsworth of camera totally ruined!

W

Wolfman Woody

WHat's Hama like as a brand? They seem to do some good deals.

And what would the difference be between the 2200 MaH and 2300 MaH (not anything obvious like 100 MaH please)? what does that extra give you?

R

Rod MacAskill

I bought a Uniross Ultra Fast Nicd-Nimh Charger with 4 batteries included from BatteryLogic for ?30.94 (www.BatteryLogic.co.uk). The good thing is that it incorporates a car charger so I always have 2 batteries charging whenever I am going fishing with 2 fully charged in the camera. This has proved a godsend to me solving all the problems I had experienced with other batteries.

C

Chris Bishop

I'd check and make sure you get compatible ones. Rechargeables don't get on well with some film cameras as they're a slightly different voltage.

C

Chris Bishop

I don't understand why you get so much drain although I admit I mostly use film cameras for fishing.

Agree with Rik about not taking them out, this wouldn't make a lot of difference.

One way to cut battery drain (if this is an option on your camera...) is not to use the big viewing screen to compose/review pics as this takes a fair bit of juice.

If you don't have an optical viewfinder, you're stuck with it.

S

Shrek

Jeff, the MaH rating relates to the length battery can hold it's charge. The higher the number, the better they are. See Big Rik's first post on this thread.

W

Wolfman Woody

Understand that Adrian, it's just why does a 2300 cost so much more than a 2200? What would the extra 100 give you in terms of time, exposures etc.

I think I might give them a go though. Might buy the quick charger also, mine would take 30 hours to charge soemthing like 2200s.

Darren Smith 4

Reaction score
Downloading to your PC uses huge amounts of 'juice' I have invested in a mains supply leed for downloading. Not had a problem with battery life in general use (taking pictures)
As all above, go for highest MaH re-chargeables for best life but expect to pay for quality.

B

Big Rik

I haven't looked in detail at the ones you're talking about Jeff, but manufacturers prices vary quite a lot.
Maker A, selling a 2200 for X prive.
Maker B, sells a 2300 for Y price.

If it's the same manufacturer, then I would say that the difference in battery power is negligable and wouldn't justify th extra expense.