Foul hooked fish

Joskin

Reaction score
A response I posted on a previous thread attracted a few responses about foul hooked fish so I thought that the subject deserved its owen Thread.

Come on Guys (and Gals) what are your views. this subject must effect all anglers from Specimen to Match.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

They go straight back, unless i'm in a match then they go straight back..........into the keepnet.

W

Wolfman Woody

You can't help catching a fish foul or fair.

In matches at one time you had to declare it was foul-hooked and return it to the water (not in the keepnet like some CHEATS would - Wol?)

I had two the other day, but one I will swear was properly hooked when I first saw it on the surface and had thrown the hook by the time I netted it. That's one of the problems of barbless, it was stuck in it's pectoral muscle.

Claiming it as a fair caught fish is immaterial unless it's a record or a match.

Joskin

Reaction score
what if you caught a specimen fish say a 15lb Bream. would you class it as a fish caught? or would you just try to forget that you ever caught it

F

Frothey

...or a record bream? i dont think many people wouldnt claim it (especially if no-one was around!), even though they might say they wouldnt.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Quirky put back a truly monstrous Queenford bream he foul hooked a few years ago which could of broke the then record.

Anywhere behing the anal vent then i class em as foul hooked ;o)

Joskin

Reaction score
Warren

so you wouldnt class a fish caught in the pectoral fin foul hooked?

Joskin

Reaction score
I know a guy who once won a match by deliberatly foul hooking around a dozen fish.

Joskin

Reaction score
He was fishing a whip had alot if skimmers and roach in his swim so every time the float so much as twitched he would strike.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
He is not a angler but a fishmonger. The art of angling is to get the fish to eat what your offering beit real or artificial. You will always get the odd foul hooked fish and if its a good one you know your bait/groundbait is working and you can come back another time and try to catch it legit.

At the begining of last seson i had a 10.5Ib bream but do not class it as caught as i snagged a trace it was towing around. Even though it was regurgatating my bait in the net.

M

michael rouse

Its not fishing though.Foul hooking a fish is accidental and shows how stupid you are.Fishing is presenting a bait and hoping a fish will suck it up.

Joskin

Reaction score
I would go carefull saying that anglers that have foul hooked a fish are stupid as I would imagine that around 99% of anglers have foul hooked a fish in the past and that every single top angler has also foul hooked fish.

If I were you I would retract that statement.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Any angler will foul hook fish from time to time. It's unavoidable. I've caught quite a few fish whilst fishing with flies, lures, plugs and spinners that have been hooked on the outside of the mouth.

What is bad are those that foul hook fish intentionally.

This is not on and those that do this should be made to pay a heavy penalty.

M

michael rouse

Meant how stupid the anglers who do it deliberately are.Sorry to have caused offence joskin.I'v only ever foul hooked a fish when retreiving rigs but to do it with intent on hooking something is stupid.

N

Neil Laing

Slightly off the subject (sorry Joskin but you've had a responce)but a foul hooking a record fish was mentioned.
I heard of someone catching a record grass carp (not foul hooked) and they just put it back and didn't report it.
They didn't want the lake taken over by anglers trying to catch it again.

This made me completely rethink what would happen if I fluked catching a whopper.
After all I dont fish to get famous.
Neil.

N

Nick Austin 2

Some purist will even be disapoined if they hook a carp (sorry) anywhere other that in the bottom lip, so i think outside of the mouth is well off limits!...

Fishing is done for no-one elses benifit than their own if you catch a fish and your happy with the way you caught it, fine.

I just put foul hooked fish back in carefully and forget about them, with (hopefully) a lifetime left to fish in, i'm not gonna worry about not quiet upping my PB, when i know i will come back and do it sometime.

Graham's article in CF comments on the big fish or bust scenario, and i tend to agree with him, i get my pleasure from catching fish of any size, as long as it's done fair and square!.

Any one remember the article last year about the angler who finally admitted that the "record Fish" he caught (cant remember the species), was in fact found dead in the margins?.. he realised after several years, after recieving cash prizes, bait offers,etc, that he was only really being fraudulant to himself!. same with a foul hooked fish as far as i'm concerned!

W

Wolfman Woody

Saying that about foulhooking - the best pole caught carp I ever landed was foulhooked. It was 9.5lb and went like the clappers so much so I though it was twice the weight and just hung on. I thought the pole was going to shatter and only after 10 minutes did I find out it was foulhooked through the tail.

Removed the hook, splash of Klinik, bu couldn't see any serious damage, not even a missing scale. Put it back and away. I wouldn't have counted it as a lake record, but at the time I struck I believed I had a bite and that I was into one serious fish with attitude. Why shouldn't I count it to some extent because it was the best carp I've had on the pole. I can't un-catch it.