Water level

leuciscus

Reaction score
Hi, i am from Romania and i'm mostly a spinning addict but i would love to have a try at barbel. So while i am pretty familiar with that kind of fishing and the various baits, i would like to know something about the water. My question is : if the river is in flood after lets say a week of rain, the water being muddy and high aswell as flowing strong, are these good conditions to go after barbel?

quickcedo

Reaction score
Generally I have found Barbel will feed in almost any river condition, The problem we have is, can you present a bait? If so, then do so, if not stay at home.

mooks666

Reaction score
;)

Much better to let the rubbish come down before you attempt to fish flooded rivers and to the main point a river on its way down is the time to fish.. On its way up is to me a waste of time.
Found that out a couple of seasons ago river was rising and never had a touch levelled off that night came back next evening was falling and had 3 barbs in 2 hours and many rod pulls...Two 10lbers and a 8lb 8oz close in ...magic..

So its usually the case to wait for the river to start dropping..

Rich P

Reaction score
I hope that's true.....however, we're only getting it sporadically up here in the NW. Can't see any high levels any time soon :(