A tall tale

L

Les Clark

A great little story of your/our long nearly forgotten past.
I think we all have little stories tucked away in our head somewhere.
Nice one Twainy!

J

john conway

Very nice nostalgic tale brought a few memories back ?jam butties and a bottle of corporation pop?. Funny how you could go out playing all day and no one bothered so long as you were back for your tea.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A great story Twainy,it certainly does bring back memories,I could feel the excitement of what took place. What a pity todays youngsters can't wonder off for the day.A good read, and well done.

M

mel Crighton

bring back those day of childhood, safe in knowing that you could ask for a glass of water and get lemonade.........aaaah

T

Twainy

Thanks lads. My problem now as Graham put it is that he wants more!
Watch this space :mad:)

W

Wolfman Woody

That's Graham for you, never satisfied.

A good story. You must have been wealthy kids though, split cane rods, real reels? My first was a garden cane and the spool was what the line came on. God knows how I caught any fish on it, but two gudgeon and a perch and I was in heaven.

Mick Smith 3

Reaction score
those were the days, every time you went fishing it was an adventure. best hobby in the world.

J

john conway

How many of you also want birds nesting? I?d a smashing collection of eggs that I think my Mum chucked away when I was going through my snooker/girls phase. We also used to bring home live animals we caught and I can never remember any of the fledglings we thought we were saving ever surviving. The old guys on the allotments use to put dead cats under their tomatoes and vines. Didn?t have a telly until I was 14 and the only books I read were the Dandy, Beano and the Angling Times. There were always older lads who know what to do and how to fix everything, never understood why I had to go to school when there was so much outside to explore. Swearing blind to your Mum that you hadn?t been playing with fire and never understanding how she know (red eyes, black smears on your face and stinking of smoke).

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
A thoroughly enjoyable read Twainy, I look forward to more of the same. We have some excellent writers on FM whom I enjoy immensely, I just wish I had the same litary talent.

T

Twainy

John,
I used to go nesting regularly when I was a kid. magpies were a rarity as were hedge spadgers.
This was before it became widely recognised as illegal.
I used to keep mine in sawdust in an old type of mechano box. It was called Kliptiko. I never had the set though.
Monkey, my very first rod was made for me by my Grandad. It was garden cane with stiff fuse wire eyes. They were whipped on with bright orange nylon twine and then were covered with a type of wax which had to be melted and spread on.
The reel was a spool of some type with a piece of dowel set in as a handle. Pure centre pin!
The line was the same orange twine which was used for the whipping. Any fish would have to have been completely blind to miss it! I never caught a fish with it but it laid a very solid foundation that has never left me for thirty five years.