3 qt cold water
1/4 cup salt
3 tbsp dill seed
3 large bunches dill, fresh
30 crayfish, fresh-water

GARNISH
1 bunch dill
1 toasted white bread

In a 6-8 quart kettle, combine the water, salt, dill seed and 2 of the bunches of fresh dill ties with a string. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil briskly, uncovered for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, wash the crayfish carefully under cold running water. Drop them, a few at a time, into the rapidly boiling water. When all of the crayfish have been added, cover the kettle tightly and boil about 6 or 7 minutes. Line a 2-3 quart bowl with the sprigs of the third bunch of fresh dill. Remove the crayfish from the kettle with a slotted spoon and arrange them in the bowl over the
dill sprigs. Strain the stock over the crayfish through a fine sieve and let them rest in the liquid until they have reached room temperature. Then cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours; they may marinate as long as 2 days if you wish. To serve, drain the crayfish of their liquid, pile them high on a platter and garnish with fresh dill. Although they can be served cold, the
crayfish are at their best if they are allowed to reach room temperature. Serve with toast.

F

Fred Bonney

Just like I used to deal with the Upper Ouse ones,delish!...but, dip in mayonaise and eat with brown bread.

W

Wolfman Woody

Should that be "DILLitious" Fred?

What if you don't happen to like dill?

Joskin

Reaction score
yes im not too keen on dill and the crays are already cooked and frozen

Joskin

Reaction score
Just had my Crays cold with salad and a good dollop of salad cream.

Superb.

More people should be encouraged to eat crays.
Free food and you get to rid your local waters of the pesky things

F

Fred Bonney

Don't like dill doh?
Any other herbs won't be the same, you will like dill with these.

Joskin

Reaction score
Wondered how long it would be before someone stuck in the Dill doh.

oooch

I

Ian Whittaker 1

Nice recipe Warren , wild garlic would make a good substittute for you dill haters and its free!

W

William Spencer

don't just drop the crays into boiling water.the most humane way of cooking them is to put them into the freezer for a while,this,makes them comatose(they hibernate in the wild).then put them in boiling water.

P

Phil Hackett 2

I’m amazed at some of the comments on hear!
FOR THE LAST TIME
IT IS ILLEGAL TO TAKE ANY CRAFISH FROM ANY WATER IN ENG. & WLS. WITHOUT A LICENCE FROM THE EA. PERIOD!
And some of you have put you real names to the posts. OOPS!

F

Fred Bonney

I'm not so certain of that, as you seem to be,they are not being taken commercially nor are they being moved to another water!

W

Wolfman Woody

It's still illegal to remove them Fred, commercially or not.

There is a little bit of a loophole though if you catch one and cook it by the waterside and eat it. Not sure then if you can be done as you're not removing them dead or alive, well not whole at least. Perhaps put some dill in your tackle box next time you go fishing.

Joskin

Reaction score
Dont panic about the illegal bit you wont find any evidence that I have caught any crayfish (unless perhaps you collect stool samples from the sewer).
and just because they are in my freezer who said thai i caught them or that the person who did catch them hasnt got a licence.

I just want to try Cormorant next but I have heard that they taste disgusting and stink to high heaven. (anyone know?)

About time the anglers started to "bite" back.

Joskin

Reaction score
Just one Graham?

well im ahead of the game then as I ate 30 last night.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Why stop at crayfish and cormorants ???
Swans make good eating too ....

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
As i belive it you are only breaking the law if you trap the crays or move them to another water. Selling them is also illegal. As they come under the definition of fish if your club alows you to remove or kill fish say for piking you would not be breaking the law if you cooked them at the side of the water.

P

Phil Hackett 2

"Quite right Joskin, if every fisherman ate one crayfish per week we would soon be rid of them."

Fat chance of this happening!

In a study of signal crays in 1997 on the River Gt Ouse it was established that the mean density (Summer)was 15 individuals per Sq. metre of riffle (Freshwater Forum Vol 8. 1997.) Other studies on other southern rivers have shown up to 17000 individuals per Km of river.