It's Back ! ( but what is 'It' ? )

Beecy

Reaction score
i started to loose 'It' sometime towards the end of last year, i dont know why but for some reason i went, seemingly overnight, from fishing every weekend to not going at all and not even thinking about it. I just wasnt bothered any more.

this lasted until last weekend when my dad dropped of my new permit for our local estate lakes (we have a deal,he buys the permits every year,i provide the bait when we go) it shows how much id lost 'it' as id totaly forgot they were due for renewel.

Any way, something seemed to click and i automaticaly went into preparation mode, cleaned all my gear, replaced lines & elastics ect.., hell ive even washed my stinky old fishing trousers

spent all last night preparing a big pot of perfectly cooked hemp and beutiful soft shiney tares

And thats it, 'Its' back !

Shine

Reaction score
thumbs_up_smiley-1-1.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It never goes away Beecy, it's always there.....

Just takes something to trigger it off again.

Tightlines mate ;)

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I lost my fishing PIZZAZZ just before Xmas.

It still hasn't returned .......... it's dorment or hibernating or disguising itself as a big load of CAN'TBEBOTHEREDDOM.

Perhaps i have been to quiet, perhaps i have fell out of the Loop, perhaps i am turning in to a Non Fisherman ......................... <shakeshead>

This is the longest period i have not fished for what must be 10 or 15 years.

IT, what is IT ................... don't know, but i think it must be Drive and Passion and Motivation and Love and Belief, well a combination of Positive things.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
its a bit like sex
How can you remember? :D

With fishing, it just needs a little something to trigger things off. I gave up for three years due to business trips and starting a new business and fishing just got lost. Then one year, 1992, I went in the old cupboard for something and the old rod tube fell into my hands. I took out the rod for curiosity and gave it a wiggle, then went back for the reel and attached that, then threaded the line and set a float on - that was it. I still had to wait a couple of weeks before the season started, but I was back on!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Glad to hear your back and have 'it' again Beecy.

Personally, when I lose 'it' I look to change habits, venues, species asap.

'Habits' is the hardest to change IMHO. :)

stikflote

Reaction score
I too have lost the will to go fishing

ive turned down my matches, ,fished one match right through next one packed up halfway thru ,and went home,next and final match ,i just couldnt be bothered to put keep net in came home early,getting loads stick from the club members told em all to sling their hook.

Wife is not stopping me going, i just have a feeling i cant be bothered
got that much tackle there,s nothing i need ,
except a bit of passion for angling , which is no longer there

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I think that ****y may have hit the nail on the head.

Perhaps what my fishing is missing is Variety ??????

Perhaps i need to venture a little wider in my fishing, broaden my experience in other types of fishing.

Mind you, that could start to cost more money than i currently have available to me to spend on Fishing ............. oh bummer, back to the drawing board :(

dezza

Reaction score
What you need is a little of what I experienced yesterday.

A rod bent to the horizontal, a screaming reel, a bright shiney piscine torpedo exploding skywards as the line cuts through the surface film, sending a miriad of water droplets forming a rainbow in the sunlight.

And I kid you not!

A day spent after the superfit rainbow trout of Toft Newton!

:D

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think every angler goes through periods of inactivity it goes with the job, I know I have and I know many others that have, then suddenly something triggers you off and you start again with renewed vigour.

WARNING! The renewal usually triggers off a need to buy stuff.

quickcedo

Reaction score
For me IT is most definately about change. I am one of those fishermen who gets locked onto one type of fishing to the exclusion of all else. For the last five years or so it's been Barbel. I have found myself going less and less then, last winter I started doing shorter sessions hunting Chub (minimal gear and all that) and BING the light came back on. Enthusiasm returned with vigour and, found I was actually enjoying myself rather than taking it far to serious.

dezza

Reaction score
I will never understand why some people only want to do one form of angling all their lives.

There are people who never know anything else than the sight of three rods on a pod or the sound of a buzzer. Then there are those who want to equate all angling to three rods on a pod and the sound of a buzzer.

How utterly boring.

I think that's why I eventually gravitated to fly fishing.

Of course I would do more coarse fishing, but I cannot abide the carting around of tackle or baits, or the struggle on often steep banks, to get into position.

With fly fishing I can exercise all my creative talents in designing and making the articles which catch the fish. I can utilise my manipulative skills in casting that article to the fish I am persuing, and I can do this for the minimum of cash outlay.

Fly fishing has become the cheapest form of angling with the greatest scope for future development.

Sitting behind a three or four rod pod waiting for a fish to hook itself?

It's all been done before chaps, and even some of the top named angling stars are learning this.

Cakey

Reaction score
Ive not lost my mojo my problem is time
grandchildren etc eating into my fishing time but I love em

Shine

Reaction score
Each to their own though isn't it? If they are happy, what's wrong with that?

Some people might find fly fishing boring...You never know :eek:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I'm surprised at you Ron, you've been there and done it all, are you saying that fly fishing is the pinacle of angling? I understand why you have found fly fishing suits your needs, but why knock other forms of angling?

What is angling all about? For me it's about the enjoyment, challenges, successes and taking in my surroundings. I don't enjoy fishing lakes/ponds, but that's my choice. I love being the only one on the bank, but I also love a social fish-in.

'IT' for me is looking at a river and wondering what's in it and can I catch em? Intruding into nature and observing the stunning wildlife is a massive added bonus, which many folk will never encounter. And you saw the look on Wendi's face when she was catching those pike on the Idle Ron, not many husbands are lucky enough to have a wife who loves fishing too.

If the carpers or barbellers enjoy what they do then good on em, who are we to judge how anglers should fish?

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I lost 'IT' for a while, maybe I'm just at that age where angling fades a little?

Well what ever happened for 8 months or so has certainly ceased. Within the last month my fishing enthusism has been at an all time high in every disipline. Going to back to float fishing with maggots, caster, sweetcorn and worm has been brilliant.

I think even if the passion fades a little it will come back with a bite. Once an angler always an angler. Theres not much better in life then that feeling of a decent fish thumping away, especially if you'd forgotten what it felt like.