BBC News 24 Fishing Shocker!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave,

I think you must have misheard or misundersttod.

The BBC actually being POSITIVE about Angling?

Nah, don't believe it, and if it actually did happen then I would assume that some poor journalist is now looking for another job :)

S

Shrek

Were they running the same story as the news on Radio 2?

Heard that the EA report we have never had so many fish in our rivers and that Anglers everywhere should be catching nets full of them. The River's Mole and Lym(or Lyn) were the most prolific with 14 species in them.

Salmon are on the decline though due to agricultural products

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Yes, I saw the end of the report this morning.They had a young women angler who they said was some sort of champion(?)catching a small roach from I think the Mersey but couldn't be sure.

She unhooked the fish gently & popped it back in the water.Whats more she was very articulate & sold angling as a sport for all ages & genders.Well done to her!!

W

Wolfman Woody

They interviewed a chap, I think Frank Lythgoe, whilst he was fishing and then an Environment bloke. Tremendous!

He spoke of keeping youths out of trouble and angling teaching them to respect things.

Drinks all round! - - - - - - - - - - They're on Frothey, he's loaded.

jp

Reaction score
.......but why did we have to have the joke wave graphics covering a third of the screen? (on a main news programme?)

....and why are they talking about being on the river bank right in the middle of the close season?

Does anybody at the BBC actually know anything about fishing?

P

Phil Hatton

Watched the same thing this morning. It looked like a stillwater to me. The interviewee was Wendy Lythgoe, daughter of the Warrington sec and a Ladies World Champion. She came across very well, made some good positive comments and was treated with respect by the interviewer. All in all a decent piece of TV journalism. ( It's not April 1st is it?)

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thanks Phil.I only saw the last bit & my wife filled me in on what I missed.

John, I think we should be grateful for small mercies given that we get such a lot of negative puiblicity thees days.

jp

Reaction score
I'm sure it was a still water Phil, but the reporter kept referring to being on the river bank, is it too much to expect accuracy from the BBC, or at the very least a sensible account of what is going on.

A

Ashe Hurst

This report was repeated several times through out the morning on BBC.

It looked like a still water to me.
the interviewer was good.

Both the young lady, World champ as stated by the interviewer, her father who was interviewed in a later report and the EA chappy all spoke well and put angling in a good light.

They discussed the Mersy Basin project and the benefits to the environment and social inclusion that angling brings, also that angling generates ?3 billion pa to the UK.

they even showed fish being cauight, landed, unhooked and returned in a safe manner.

they showed film of course and fly anglers and the EA stated that there are 3 million anglers in the UK.

A good allround report.

jp

Reaction score
From Warrington this morning to the Tyne at lunchtime, I bet they don't get down to Hampshire anytime, the only thing we've got more of is cormorants and otters, neither of which are doing anything to increase fish numbers.

The only clear thing is that with the death of British industry the rivers from those affected areas are now more able to support fish life.

The number of anglers seems to have risen to 3.9 million by lunchtime.

F

Frothey

because people are taking it up in droves 'cos of the positive reporting...doh!

W

Wolfman Woody

It said that there were some 3 million of us, in which case there are more than half of them licence dodgers, but we'll pass on that for now. The pole fishing was on a still water, but the fly fishing I saw was on a river - still alright after 1st April.

It's a pity they didn't make mention of the close season because come the holidays we'll have hoards of them on the boats up and down the Thames fishing away and not realising they need a licence and that they shouldn't be fishing at all, just yet.

M

mel Crighton

full report in A.T. but don't ask the E.A. for a copy I did only to be told it is not for general issue

B

Bill Cox

I too saw the reports and thought it put over angling in a really positive light.It might be an idea for some of our so called governing bodies to strike while the iron is hot so to speak and try to get some national coverage for some of its members,maybe the angling in schools initiative could be pushed as another positive way of keeping kids out of trouble.