The Ribble and an Ex Accy Lad

D

Dave Slater

A brilliant article John. It is always very interesting to read about an angler's experiences with big fish and the build up. You thoroughly deserve the success you have enjoyed. Whatever you catch in future I doubt if you will ever forget those first big fish. I don't think any of us do. One comment I would make would be to, perhaps, try the early mornings as well as the evenings. I catch quite a few big fish on early morning sessions on my rivers. There again every river is different. That's what makes it all so interesting. I hope you catch loads of big fish next season John.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thanks John I am already counting the days to the start of the season. Storys like this just make it worst (excellent read though) its like waving a bottle of scotch under a alcie's nose.
If I dont see you on the Lancaster canal see you on the Ribble.

J

Jim Hinchley

Nice one john , a pleasure to share the bank with you and an excellent write up.
Cant find mention of the Gregsons slugs , bat bites a plenty or your favourite falling in stream but you cant get it all in i suppose.
Just one quick question , the article you mention that gary wrote on Ribble chub , did it refer to the brand or freshness of bread needed to master the Ribble . :)

Only 49 days 8 hours 30 mins to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

john conway

Jim, try as I may I can’t find the article that Gary wrote, as for the fresh bread was it to you whom the comment was made or Eric?
AS for falling in, we don’t talk about that, unless its someone else of course.
How’s your mark III Barbel coming on, what’s the latest additions?
Dave, you'r absolutely right I must make a bit more effort to fish the early mornings. In the high summer I like to fish through Friday evening in to Saturday morning, dark about 10:30 and light about 4:00.
Can’t wait for the new season to open and hopefully making the acquaintance of one or two Ribble Barbel and starting another thread on Summer Chub.
Dave everything we’ve talked about on the Chub threads re them just lipping the bait and then dropping it was also confirmed at Trefor West’s talk to the Yorkshire Barbel Society, he took advantage of this habit to avoid them whilst Barbel fishing by always hair-rigging his pellets at least 10mm off the hook and not touching his rod unless it was a wrap round.

J

Jim Hinchley

All right i have inadvertantly added an extra week to the enforced layoff in error I'm going that stir crazy .
Erics the Warby boy not I , and i can understand not mentioning falling in the Ribble yourself but eric did it as well on the same length as you.
Mk111 barbel is undergoing some secret trials abroad starting on the 29 may when my seasons barbel fishing starts in portugal ( probably a bit different to the Ribble but i just cant wait for the 16th ).

As an aside a new regional officer ( Mr David Brown of Preston )has volunteered for the Lancashire region of the Barbel Society so we should soon be having our own meetings and not have to travel as far to the cheshire or yorkshire ones.

Jason Crook

Reaction score
JOHN,thanks for the excellent read,you forget to mention that i taught you all you know (HA HA HA )sorry joking apart, excellent and i hope i can spend some quality sessions with you on the ribble this season and smash those PB's .
ps even the wife enjoyed reading your article which is a first!! c u soon mate

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
john,
A good read mate and very descriptive, especially on haveing to serve an apprentice ship when first starting on the Ribble. Like you I sat between Jim and Eric only to watch them pulling some cracking fish out, with me blanking even though I could be on the same bait. I'm waiting for the season to start again, can't wait.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Very nice article John,
Not sure what type of fishing id be doing now if i hadnt met up with you on the FM site.
Last season was my 1st back fishing after a gap of about 8 year`s and i was fishing commersial`s and getting a bit fed up with it.
1st you showed me what a gem the old the lancaster canal is and i hope to be fishing it for year`s to come.
As we got closer to mid june talk of rivers came into the chat`s we had and a wonderfull opening day on the Lune was had,id never seen so much wildlife including that huge lamprey.
I then went back to my canal tench fishing as i couldnt understand how anything could beat it and to be honest fishing the Ribble id seen from the m6 seemed daunting.
When i finnaly built up the nerve and the tackle and ask you about where to start you soon set up a trip down to a day ticket and sorted all my many questions on rig`s,bait ect.Cant really remember if i caught but remember that huge chub you landed (think it was your 1st 6lbder)
After that a WAA card was ordered and i spent the rest of the year fishing the balderstone strech.
The ribble fish in`s came later and met up the rest of the ribble reg`s all have been great to chat and share info with.(Even that poacher chap with the rubber boris gave me tip`s)
I am now another who is iching to be back on the river and have made sure work and family cant get in the way of the 16th(and the full week after).

Thank`s John and rest of the ribble lad`s and hope to see you on the bank again soon.

E

Eric Hayes

Excellent article John, it?s got me all worked up and there is still over a month to go before I can get at the Ribble again. Are we going to see a The Ribble and an Ex Accy Lad Pt2? I for one hope so.

Next time we meet on the Ribble we can share some falling in tips. Don?t tell anyone but I?ve found a wonderful gully that gets covered in reeds after a flood, do it right and you end up going arse over tit and landing on your back up to your neck in stinking mud with your rucksack & quiver on, holding your chair in one hand and a bucket in the other?.Ho how we laughed.

Hutch

Reaction score
A great article John, it was reading amongst others your venue reports of the Ribble that enticed me out of Cumbria to travel down the M6 once a week to fish my first season on the river. I'm planning my second season on the Ribble and can't wait for the glorious 16th. Hope to see you and the other regulars on the river next season.Had a shock tonight when i came into work and found my shift pattern had changed and i was down for dayshift on the 16th, the boss will be changing that in the morning!! By the way i fell in the tush pool last year as i stepped back off the concrete blocks while playing a barbel can i join the club?

J

John McLaren

Very enjoyable article John, you deserve your success - I just wish I could get out consistently enough to mount a "campaign".

I too look to be on a bummer for the 16th -my colleague - who knows I usually have sevaral days off that week has, without asking me, booked the whole week for a golfing holiday - grrrrrr!
Next year's booking is already in!

I might try a very earlier short session - if I think I can survive the rest of the day afterwards.

Les

Reaction score
brilliant read john, there is something magnetic about the ribble and her surroundings, after reading your article i am itching to get back, last season was my first on the ribble so i can relate to what you say about the banker pegs or getting about and exploring, i tried a few early morning sessions but i never even managed a bite, i will be doing more with the float in the coming season as too many times i was counting time till evening, well done with your fish i hope to emulate you with some new pb`s of my own.

tightlines
les

J

john conway

Les, I?m sure your right about using the float during the day especially when it?s a bit on the bright side, and to think as a young lad I?ve have never thought of legering, how times have changed. Tight lines for the coming season.