Lost rivers

C

Chris Bishop

Does anyone know of any rivers which were viable fish habitats say 20 years ago which now dry up regularly because of abstraction..?

W

Wolfman Woody

The top of the River Wye through Hughenden in High WYcombe. The Ea put loads of trout egg boxes in the stream to restock it 3 years ago and earlier this year is was completely mud.

It was always a viable fish habitat although no-one fished it as such. The stream comes from the Chiltern hills where water is abstracted to supply us and the excess goes to London.

C

Chris Bishop

I'm trying to find a couple I can get a good bygone picture of from 25 or so years back, then go and get a today pic from the same spot this summer showing the difference - preferably in Cambs, Norfolk or Suffolk.

Want to write a piece on it, have all the facts and figures to stand it up but it needs pictures...

S

sash

How about some of the Upper Welland / Maxey Cut bits Chris? I personally don't remember them being anything but shallow, straight featureless bits of water but there are plenty of people around this area that do remember them as delightful little rivers going back 20 years+.

D

david bruce 1

In Dorset there has alweays been the winterbournes - river that dried upin summer but there number is very much on the increase. I read several articles on thsi a few years ago in various trout fishing mags.

C

Chris Bishop

Sash, cheers I'll have a look. See you next week - no sign of anything drying up before then, in fact I think you're all in for a good drenching judging by the forecast..!

W

Wolfman Woody

Chris - whilst you're in that area give the River Glen above Greatford (between Bourne and Deepings) a look as well. That used to be a nice little fishery in parts, but sometimes it could get very, very shallow.

S

sash

I take it you used to fish it Jeff? Nice little river the Glen.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Many years ago I happened to be in Hertfordshire close to Hitchin where **** walker used to live.

**** used to fish The Hit, The Ivel, The Flit, The Beane and the Houghten Brook which ran virtually next to his garden. He had big wild brownies from all of them. They were genuine limestone rivers of the Midlands.

What has happened to these rivers. I do not live in this vicinity but perhaps a national park should have been created about 60 miles by 200 miles covering these counties where no building nor other developments should be allowed and any farming done on an organic basis.

Life would be better there I am sure.

What has happened to all these

C

Chris Bishop

Ron, I hear a rumour you're down in these parts next week...

D

Deecy

Ron the Ivel is the only one of those that are actually holding it's own.There are matches held on it , weed allowing, and recent Barbel introductions (re-introductions?)have taken place making it a viable Barbel fishery.There are some good Chub, Perch and Roach.
As for the rest sad to say they are trickles.
Another river that comes to mind is the Chess once a Trout fishery but only parts now could be fished.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I'm down 15th June Chris for 7 days.

My usual season opening.

W

Wolfman Woody

No Sash, I never did fish it, but I know people who did and also further downstream across Thurlby fen. I lived in Thurlby for about 5 years and used to walk along soem of its banks and friends of ours lived in Greatford, which I used to go through almost every day. A nice little part of the world.

S

sash

I guess from Ron's silence on a number of threads he's not coming Richard.

Nice place Greatford Jeff. The Glen's becoming a very tidy little fishery overall and the variety between its upper reaches and the lower tidal sections is quite amazing for such a small river.