Thoughts on the "Unbreakable" rod

Joskin

Reaction score
On turning to page 10 in this weeks Angling Times I started to read an article on a new "unbreakable" rod made by a company called Pegasus.
It seems that the rod is some kind of Telescopic Beachcaster cum pole cum Broom handle, Made for lifting into big fish and then just holding on as tight as possible and letting the stiffness of the rod do all the work backed up by a reel with the clutch set to take your line to the limit before it lets the fish have any.
The writer of the artical Dave Woodmansey says (and I quote)
"The might mirror pictured here, weighed 14lb, and was foul hooked in the tail, yet it was banked in a shade over 4 minutes. Try that with a pole"

Now to me it sounds like this kind of rod will do nothing to a carp except drag it to the net in extra quick time and cause untold damage to the fishs mouth.
Later on in the article it does say that the action of the rod cushions the hook hold and will prevent causing mouth damage, but I can not see how, as surley if you are using 10lb line or even 8lb as Dave Woodmansey was when he tested the rod out, and you set the clutch to only give out line when the line is close to breaking then surley the fish will suffer from mouth damage.

Am I correct in thinking that this is the case or am i missing somthing?

M

mel Crighton

Read this and thought the same, does this mean I can use my K2 beachcasters and abu mags on the lakes, as if i would,

J

jason fisher

no rod is unbreakable, and they haven't tested it properly, they haven't given one to me for a start, i'd break it no problem.

L

Les Clark

The trouble is,If your a youngster, not sure what your after, not a lot of money, and belive what you read,when told by the "expert",you could be tempted.

Hutch

Reaction score
Mel, you might be joking but i have seen someone using a sea rod on a commercial along with sea line. What is it with tackle manufacturers giving names to their products like Carp Slayer, Grim reaper, executioner etc it gives youngsters the wrong impression and the antis plenty of ammunition.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Dont knock beachcasters i have a couple that are a lot more forgiving than some of the 3.5Ib test curve rods some people are using on mill ponds around here.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

They said the titantic was unsinkable :eek:)

W

Wolfman Woody

I saw a chap once fishing with this float, rather oversized I thought and told him so, but he told me that it was some new design and it was impossible to lose it. Well, I said come on, what happens if it flies off on the cast. He said it just works its way back to you where you reeach it.

I said, well suppose a fish breaks you line above the float or you cast it into a tree where you can't reach it. He said somehow the float manages to cut the line, freeing itself and falls to the ground or if its in the water it makes its way back to you again.

I said that was brilliant, but can't you lose it in the grass. He said no. That somehow, evem if you throw it to deliberately miss your tackle box it swerves in the air and ends up with the other floats.

I said that was fantastic, where can I buy one from. He said he didn't know, he found that one.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I think I've met him, way back when I was a kid fishing the Welsh Harp, catching nuffink but seeing the local hot-shots get a few. So one day, this chap says,"have you a balance I can borrow?-I think I've caught a three-pound roach!" Off we trot to his swim with my Little Sampson, and he produces one of the most beautiful pound-and-a-half roach I've ever seen. We weigh it (1lb 8oz,(!!))and he says, "That's odd, it looks much bigger than the two-pounder I had last week!"

J

jon cotton

I'm with Jason here, give one to me.You know what it's like, get bored, start fiddling around with something and before you know it, it's broken!!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The only time I've ever broken a rod in my life has been in car doors, by treading on it, by a tractor running over it or by abusing it in some way.

I've never broken a rod by fishing with it.

And since fishing rods are used for fishing, I don't see a problem.

J

jason fisher

ah but it said it was unbreakable, the number of rod's i've broken while not fishing with them is beginning to get silly, thought i've got to admit i've only broken one while fishing with it and that was because of a wrap over in the dark.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I think its obvious that its unbreakable in normal use not by using it as jam for car doors or for additional grip on a tyre. I did manage to break a fly rod mid cast all i can asume is that at some time i must have damaged the blank which eventually broke.