Rod licence evasion

W

Wolfman Woody

I am surprised that there were over 1122 illegal anglers caught over the spring bank holiday. It would interesting to hear what their excuses are.

If they are regular anglers then they have NO excuse whatsoever and the fine should reflect that. All magazines and this website warn that you require a new licence from April 1st.

If they are people who just thought of starting the sport then I have a little sympathy because other than a very small amount of advertising there are generally no notices whatsoever on the fisheries. We do need more warning notices ON THE FISHERIES placed there by clubs or fishery owners. And lets not forget, it is possible to go fishing without going into a tackle shop for information, there's enough stuff sold on websites such a the dreaded Ebay where no information is given.

M

mel Crighton

And the Boot Fairs have just started up again,went to one today and the prices some people ask for tackle, cheaper to buy new but, I see no notices to say you have to have a licence to use it.

There should be no excuses, they have tongues in their heads what wrong with asking, that is if they genuinely DONT know,but that is no excuse either.

A

Ashe Hurst

I counted 16 anglers on the Cray, out of season. EA informed but unable to act as they were too far away and by time they would have got to the area, the ilegals may have left.

another 4 on Friday 7th May. Again EA informed. 2 hrs later still no sign of EA.

Joskin

Reaction score
I once got caught when I was around 17 years old. I wasnt deliberatly trying to avoid paying for a licence it happend to be the 1st april on the yea after the closed season was abolished

M

mel Crighton

How long is a piece of string, the EA do thing at their own pace,same with polution wait for ages, then still nothing is done.

Joskin

Reaction score
(dont know what happened there)

it was the first time that I had been fishing at that time of year and so I just forgot that year because I was so used to the hype up to the big day of june 16th. I would normaly buy my licence a day or so before the start of the new season.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only bought mine yesterday, on the offchance I might go fishing today. But I don't think I'll bother until June 16th. But then again I might, so I've got one anyway.

W

Wolfman Woody

At our last meeting of the TVAA, the EA's representative gave us all some posters to nail up. I was glad to see one of them on our new fishery today. They simply say "AN ENVIRONMENT AGENCY ROD LICENCE IS REQUIRED TO FISH THIS WATER" (it then tells you how to get hold of one) - that's clear enough.

If something like that was available to all clubs in the country then newcomers too would have no excuse. It not like a driving licence, it's common knowledge with those that you need to pass a test first, but who would suspect that you need a licence to fish?

I still think that for existing anglers - fine them (especially thsoe fishing rivers in the close season), but how do you treat the genuine ones who truly do not know and how do you tell the difference between raw novice and experienced angler?

E

EC

Bought mine on the net today with a surcharge of 25 english pence!

Joskin

Reaction score
How about those people that genuinly forget to buy a licence?

perhaps the EA should send out reminders in March

W

Wolfman Woody

Do you ever forget that it's also "April Fool's Day", hardly anyone does!

2nd point - you may have something there. The TV remind you, the DVLA remind you of car tax, The insurance companies remind you of all insurance, and the TAX man certainly reminds you.

The EA send everyone a newsletter, "Reel Life", but why not send it in early March as a reminder instead of late April, early May after they've caught some people?

Do you think anyone from the EA reads these threads??? They should.

Joskin

Reaction score
I recon I could forget quite easy (brain like a riddle). Probably dont forget as I am in the tackle shop most days and people remind me. But I have come close some years.

Joskin

Reaction score
Cause the EA dont read these threads. Like any governing body, they never ask the participants what they think they just moan when people flout the rules.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Three Anglers.
One who has never fished before.
One who has forgotten to buy a new one.
One who takes a chance.

The E.A. comes along and gets the one who has never fished before, uses his discretion and gives him a warning.

Comes to the next two and books them.
The first thing they would say is why did you let him offf and not me? It gets to court and gets thrown out.

That's it, you are then down to club level with far too many warnings given, and more and more anglers would then take the chance of not getting one.

Joskin

Reaction score
They do moan every week in the angling press about licence evasion etc. they dont just fine you as they dont have enough enforcment officers working the banks, they just fine the ones that they catch out.

Doug Butler

Reaction score
Joskin thay should not catch the angler out as all of us that put a line in the water should get a lience befor doing so

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I allways found it easier for my own conciense if an angler tried to blag his way out of it.I would book him no problem.

The genuine angler who didn't realise he had to have one I have sympathy for.

Joskin

Reaction score
But what about the angler who forgets to buy one?

It is simple to forget to renew something.
have you ever forgoten to Tax the car, renew your TV licence, Mot your car, I have forgetten to MOT a car loads of times and so have loads of people that I know, yet I use the car everyday.

Have you never forgotten to MOT your car?