Second hand rods

M

michael rouse

Is it wise to buy a second hand rod.I'v been offered two Harrison Ballista 2.75lb rods for 100 quid.Are they more likely to snap?
Help needed?

S

Shrek

Michael, it all depends on how they've been used and cared for. Think of it like buying anything second hand.

1. Do you know the person selling htem
2. If so, do you know how well they look after things.
3. Do you have the chance to look at the rods? If so, is there a chance you could actually fish with them
4. If you can't see the rods, then you need to ask as many questions as you can think of

It's always a risk buying second hand items, but as long as you get as much information as you can to base your decision on, then I think you'll be OK.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have bought second hand rods from people I know and had no problems.

I also know someone who bought a second hand fly rod (very expensive one)off some one whom he thought he knew and it snapped in half first time out.
You pays your money and you takes your chances.

That ammount of money is a good deposit for a new pair. And pay the rest on a cheque spread.

J

jon cotton

Think of it in the same way as buying a second hand car Michael, and we've probably all done that at some time. You get good 'uns and bad 'uns!

As long as they ain't from a car boot sale or a "bloke down the pub" cos they could well be a bit "hot"!

If the lacquer is ok and the rings look sound then they've probably been looked after and should be ok.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Think of it in the same way as buying a second hand car Michael, and we've probably all done that at some time"

I hope not, don't think Michael's old enough to drive is he?

PTnymph

Reaction score
Michael,

I had to agree with Adrain it's always a risk when buying any second hand fishing equipment.

Gather much information and have a GOOD look at them before buying them. Look for wears and tears especially around the reel handles,(take a reel with you if looking at them and make sure it a good fit) also look in the spigot joints and rod rings.

F

Frothey

dear me michael, you'll never be a tackle tart at this rate..... :)

M

michael rouse

Well.Its either a pair of ballistas for 100 quid or a greys rod!Not really bothered about which ones i get.I shall always be a tackle tart and a proud one.I met the ultimate tackle tart while fishing at the weekend.Century rods, Diawa Infinities.......nuff said!

PTnymph

Reaction score
Sorry Michael & Frothey you will never be a tackle tart. There only one tackle tart on this fishing.magic and that is me!!!

LOL

T

The Monk

I had a lot of problemns with new rods when all this carbon stuff started to hit the market, I actually prefered to buy second hand rods sand I don`t really think you can compair them with a car, they have no moving parts do they, or at least they shouldnt have. The thing with a seocond hand rod is its probably been put through its paces and survived, Harrisons are good blankes anyway, I used to have three of Youngies Gladiators, bought them second hand, brilliant for the Frence inland seas, and i take no prisoners when I cast out

In fact I bought a few secondhand sets of rods when the lad was young, no sure what I`ve got in the tackle closet at the moment but I`m sure I have Dictators, Top Gun Armalites, Horizons and Dyneemas, all bought second hand and all have taken a lot of stick, for ?100 for the pair I`d go for them mate!

C

Chris Bishop

Buying anything second-hand is a risk, although buying it off someone you know you means you should have an idea how well they look after their stuff.

A lot of people carry their rods tackled up in quivers these days, so check none o the rings are distorted or show signs of being straightened.

If they're lined rings, check for any abrasions or craks in the linings which can cut your line.

Stick a reel on and check the rel seat's straight and not loose - using heavy reels over a period of time can loosen some and will your reels fit securely..?

Put the sections togther and give it a waggle - if here's any clicking sound as you flex the rod it could mean the spigot/male section of an overfit is loose, which could have weakened the female half with prolonged use.

Harrison blanks and rods are reckoned to be pretty good, but it all depends how the previous owner looked after them.

M

michael rouse

The harrison rods in bad condition.Took one look at them and thought no.The guy even told me they were no good for the types of fishing i'd be doing.Instead,im buying two Greys X-Flite(second hand) 3lb test rods for a more than fair price.