frozen or shelf life boilies

Peter West

Reaction score
Can someone explain what difference their is between frozen boilies and packet of shelf ones and how long or often can i re-freeze them or do i have to use them up if they defrost or have i got this all wrong, is their any difference in smell and taste

jp

Reaction score
Shelf life boilies will last for literally years, even when the pack's been opened. I have no idea how many or what chemicals they must contain to achieve that but I don't like the idea much.They also tend to be very hard in texture.

Frozen boilies have a much softer texture. I'm sure if you read the pack it will tell you they are more effective if not refrozen but I've done it and still caught fish and I'm sure other people have too.

I've never eaten one Peter so I can't tell you how they taste, you probably need Frothey or Rik for that.

You can always make your own of course,have a look here:-

http://www.boilie.co.uk/html/making_boilies.html

F

Frothey

ready mades normally use potassium sorbate as a preservative, so theres normally a slight "funny" taste. that why i dont like them - if everyone uses a different brand of readymade, in different flavours, there is always a common factor - the preservative. but then i'm just funny like that!

Andrew Robinson 3

Reaction score
I know we use a human food grade preservative in our baits here. But i will say that you can hardly taste the difference.