Quick Link Posting Tip

D

Deck Monkey

Instead of just pasting your link into the text, type the following (but without the <!-- as this just stops the board recognising my tip as a link!!):

<-!! This is the text that appears as the link

Then you get a clickable link. Easier than copying and pasting!

Give me a yell with any questions.

P.S. If the board interprets my example as a link, I'm going to look damn silly.

D

Deck Monkey

Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Different tack.

Type A HREF="http://www.yoursite.com" and enclose it with < and >

Then type your link text and then type /A enclosed with < and >

The problem with putting examples on the board is that it is designed to recognise links but not other html constructs it seems. Probably easiest to mail me if you don' t understand what the hell I'm talking about but want to.

S

Shrek

DM (almost Dangermouse there !!!)

There's a document on the site somewhere, damned if I can find it though, that has this listed out without converting it into a proper link.

I've got it as a GIF if you want it and can make us of it. Email me if you do.

Adrian

T

tom riordan

Cheers Adrian I have copied and printed your link, I have been scratching my head over this one for a while.

W

Wolfman Woody

You can't. You can only point to another URL where the image exists. Otherwise, as Graham says, it won't be long before someone starts putting pictures of knobs up there. I wonder who he could mean???

I wish people would make their postings easier to read. I'm not expecting perfect English or perfect spelling, you read a couple of the Monks threads and you still understand them (almost). :eek:)

All that I am saying is that people should make more use of the space bar to leave spaces in between sentences and it also helps if the new sentence starts with a capital letter by pressing the SHIFT key (the ones right and left with upward pointing arrows on them.

Also, a good point to remember to make you postings easier to read is to make your paragraphs smaller. Or at the very least make up some paragraphs.

Some people just type and type and it all comes out in one enormous block and you spend most of the evening trying to understand what they're trying to say. I never thought I would say this, but look at Ron Clay's postings.

They're always broken down into very short paragraphs. He's obviously learned a lot from readin his favourite daily newspaper where they print like this to make it easier reading - THE MIRROR! :eek:)

The only other thing I would add is take your time and try to really think through what points you want to make. Also consider whether your posting might upset someone unduly. We all have feeling you know, even monkeys.

S

Shrek

A good point that i try and make use of, especially if I have a long post to make, is to type it in Word first then paste it into the "message" box and submit it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just trying to help Phil. I don't want to miss anyone's point simply because the threads are difficult to read. It's bad enough trying to read this size of print to begin with.

You leave pretty good ones and Adrian's and Deck Monkey's are good, but like I say, Ron's are very, very good.

jp

Reaction score
You can change the size of the text Jeff, just ask the nearest 5 year old how to do it.

W

Wolfman Woody

No 5 year olds around John and I don't have any Smarties for them. I'll ask my son, he's getting on for 35 years old.

I know you can change it with the general screen setting, but it screws up other stuff that I have nicely sized up. Unless you know another way John and you're being a little smug and not telling?

D

Deck Monkey

Lemme see...the A HREF tag was recognied, let me try a few others (Caution - techie on the loose!)

<B>Bold</B>
<I>Italics</I>
<U>Underline</U>
<FONT SIZE=+2>Font Size</FONT>

I bet none of these will work now and I'm going to look even more of a pillock.

D

Deck Monkey

Yup - thought as much. It won't let you do anything other than links. The rest of it gets coverted to unicode so it displays as plain old text. Very cever.

M

Martin Scullion

That's strange the View|Text Size|Larger in IE has no effect.

Has this been disabled ?

F

Frothey

the forum isnt an html enviroment or something like that. even the admins have limited ability, not everything works. or thats what rik said a while ago