Unusual Baits

N

Nick Austin 2

Iv'e heard a few stories of anglers catching on something a bit out of the ordinary, when everything else has failed them!...

cola bottles!... the sugary sweets, marshmallow, chewing gum, maccaroni cheese are a few that spring to mind, anyone ever caught a fish on something a bit out of the ordinary?

W

Wolfman Woody

My mate Stephen was going to try jelly for carp last night. Don't know if he did or how he got on.

I had a lovely chub once on a piece of greasy Asda pork pie.

Another friend used to fish Malteesers as boilies for carp. He reckoned that the inside would melt away in the water just leaving a chocolate shell. Again no mention of results.

G

Good Old Boy

Had a perch on Juicy Fruit chewwing gum when i was younger.. The perch did not ingest the bait thank god. Silly really but i caught a fish.

Reaction score
Jeff

It works!!!!

My father tried that jelly last night,orange flavour on a hair rigged setup and he caught 2 carp just as the light was fading. One around 9lb and the other about 7lb. He missed a few bites as well.

Joskin

Reaction score
I have caught Chub on the Windrush on just about any thing and every thing including Sausages, Chips, batter, wotsits, and sweets.

I know that a few of the Carp boys on our specimen pit have been taking carp to over 30lb on bits of walkers ready salted crisps on a hair rig.

W

Wolfman Woody

Those fish in your lake will take anything Stuart. I was even surprised this time that I needed to put bait on the hook. It's getting costly now especially if your old man's starting to wean them onto jelly. He'll be groundbaiting with custard next!

Reaction score
Don't forget the cream as well:)

Going back a few years I made up a mix which was made from cornflakes and I had a carp on it.
I have even tried mealworms but that failed, not even a touch.

I,ve got it!!! Why don't they produce a hook thats flavoured, thats got to work on my lake:)
Someone somewhere will do it one day I'm sure.

PTnymph

Reaction score
Had a 15lb Carp on Quality Street " Strawberry Cream" sweetpaper

M

mel Crighton

I used cockles, during the winter had plenty of roach at a local lake, and last week tried prawns on club water but blanked. what goes on the day I suppose.

J

jon cotton

Jeff, maltesers work well as a floating bait, I've caught carp on them, along with sugar puffs, scaled down a bit, rice krispies and co co pops for rudd. They all work.

W

Wolfman Woody

I remember my mate nick catching carp on Butterkist popcorn.

Prawns are pretty standard for chub and I regularly caught them to about 5lb on the Cherwell. They must seem a bit like small crayfish.

I tried some rubber bread the other week and had a take, but it came off being a barbless hook. I think they use the rubber as a lever. Now I hear the club (Sorry - just the fishery officer) wants to ban artificial baits because of a story he wants to believe about three carp dying.

Maybe it's true but he just doesn't trust anglers to use their common sense in using these things and he says he's only thinking of 'his' fish. I said if that were the case he might as well ban fishing completely then that's one thing less to worry about.

J

jason fisher

red jelly babies.
i've seen carp caught on them.
i was going to try them my self but i ended up eating them instead.

J

jason fisher

I won't tell you where the bloke stuck the baiting needle to thread it onto the hair.

J

John Hepworth

Butchers string, from a joint of roast beef. Had a chub of just under 4lb on a couple of short lengths on the hook, all those lovely beef juices. Really p'd my mate off when I told him it was red and white string as he is a Newcastle Utd supporter - funny lot up there.

N

Nick Austin 2

nice one John!... but what on earth made you even CONSIDER IT?....

i have to admit, that if i'm having a hard time of it i go through my lunch box to see if theres anything worth trying, but it's normallly the contents of mt sarnies that get a dip!....

I suppose catching carp on a piece of cork is BIZZARE, although perfectly acceptable nowadays!

T

The Monk

black plastic bead with a tippex mark on it, fished over hemp! excellent for carp