elver fishing and the decline of eels

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
so the EA are going to police the river severn better to tackle illegal elver netting,what about the river parrett in somerset?Each year more and more people are buying the ridiculously cheap elver licence(?20) and making 1000s on top of their state benefits,yes some of them are even registered disabled and a lot are unemployed.Some of them are making upwards of ?15000 per spring,then are bone idle for the rest of the year claiming benefits.I think the numbers of licences should be severely restricted and the price increased to ?500.English nature and the EA are encouraging the otter population to increase across britain,yet its main food source is being wiped out,putting fish such as carp and pike on the otters menu instead,this,along with the cormorant population,will,in the long term ,be detrimental to the ecosystem of our rivers.shame on you ,EA and benefit fraudsters.

J

jason fisher

I agree with most of what you say except for one thing.
Personally i think that the removal of eels from british waterways should be banned completely not just the licence increased.

I

Ian Whittaker 1

Sounds a massive return of profit on a ?20 licence. I assume that the elver fishers have to send in a legitimate catch return? Making the SALE of elvers illegal for the foreseeable future should help the eels. The associated problems should diminish .

Pete Austin 3

Reaction score
totally agree with you jason but it wont happen,so a 500 quid licence would deter people and be a compromise.
As fora catch return,as far as I know,there isnt one.And yes,its a good return for 20quid,one bloke from bridgwater made ?90.000 about 15years ago,paid his mortgage off,bought a brand new car etc etc.now allegedly,he claims sisability benefits but still goes elvering,disabled my arse,im regd disabled and there is no way i could go elver netting.