Lake/river beds

P

paul jackson 1

How do you find out what the bed of a river or lake is like? I am fishing a lake where the locals say there is 2m of silt that the bait will sink/crawl into. I seem to be plumbing the depth at about 1 metre and catching without any problems, inlcuding using ledgered baits. Can anyone help please ?

Paul

jp

Reaction score
You could try putting vaseline on the bottom of a plummet and see what comes back stuck to it.

W

Wolfman Woody

If it's only 1 metre deep how about donning chest waders and going out - WITH A WADING STICK JUST IN CASE!

One of our clubs has a similar lake, about 3 - 4 feet deep until you wade out and its 6 - 7 feet deep. They're liming it to get rid of the silt, but I'm not sure that is the best idea.

T

The Monk

try dragging a lead across the bottom, practice on bottoms which you know and can see, try the margins, with practice you will learn the feel, silt for instance discolours some types of leads, weed tends to clog up and pull on a lead, gravel is bumpy, mud slides, a bit like learning how to touch ledger really, its all down to experience and practice

N

Nick Austin 2

to add to The Monks comments, you can get a lead that has nobbles on it, or a grippa type lead, these transmit the signals back through the rod more than a normal type, as does using braided mainline.(for this exercise)

many people just use these signals, but it's also worth having a butchers at the lead, whats been dragged back?.. is it scratched, covered in weed, black slime etc etc etc etc....

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Use a 2nd plummet made out of 1 1/2 oz bomb flattened so that it is very thin by hitting it with a hammer. That way it will sink into the silt and you will get an idea of how much soft silt there is on the bottom.

A

Ashe Hurst

I preffer to use an ANTI for testing depths!
100% accurate every time.