Float Stops

Matthew White

Reaction score
Hi All

Can anyone reccomend some rubber float stops suitable for using on 10lb mono line?

Not long now 'til the season starts!!!!

Matt

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
The Drennan ones do me fine. Small, medium and large. You could probably get away with the medium ones. I use them for fishing pellet wagglers on 6-8lb line but after a fish or 3 they slip a little so probably ideal for 10lb mono.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Hi Matt. I don't bother with float stops and just tie a 'sliding float knot' on the line with 10lb power gum. This works well for a back stop and with beads for helicopter rigs and with a bit of practice you can vary the tension to allow it to slip easily or give more resistance.

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

I'll show you at Wetherby next week as I'll have a couple of rods with me.

noknot

Reaction score
Float stops all the way for me, so neat and tidy and you can set up various hooking rigs with them, safe too, I love em!

Keith M

Reaction score
On the smaller rivers and streams that I usually fish; I use small leger weights ie. from a string of 5xSSG’s up to ½oz and I don't have any problems with leads sliding down to the hook when I am using rubber stops.

I tend to use the Drennan Grippa stops (see pic below) which are quite a firm fit even on 6lb to 8lb line, and if I need to cast 10mtrs then I will sometimes use two rubber stops just to make extra sure that the weights didn't slip. For larger weights of 3/4oz or more in flood water then I change to rubber leger stops.

I find the rubber Grippa stops are far easier to use than fiddly stop knots, especially with my stubby fingers.
LinkLeger.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Yup, I use the same ones for feeder fishing as well for fixed and semi-fixed rigs. Safe too. Any fish that had the misfortune to end up attached to a feeder would lose it fairly quickly.

Also good for lasso rigs for pellet fishing, stop knots for pike fishing (fire through the rings no bother), buffering knots and probably a mutitude of other uses.

Great wee things.