LITTER

W

Wolfman Woody

Well here it is.

Yesterday I visited my clubs lake again and there was a huge pile of litter said to have been collected from around the lake. Yet two weeks before I didn't find any.

Now I know that we have a problem with litter-louts, but I'm not so certain in this case whether some of that pile wasn't brought in. I have to say that some club officials are so eager to prove a point that they might be prone to the odd fabrication of fact.

Do you think we're that bad or are we wrongly accused m'Lud?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Litter is dropped by people in all walks of life.
It may be put there by anglers on a wind up, just so they can see a bailiff picking it up.
Day trippers, bird watchers, boaters emptying their bilge tanks in a quite spot instead of useing designated places, and throwing bags of litter over the field as they go along.
As I said on a previouse thread magistrates throwing bags of dog s##t over the hedge.
Contractors to the council mowing the canal banks and directing the cuttings into the canal. (pollution)
Matchmen leaving peg numbers on the bank after a match instead of picking them up.
On the whole I think we are a lazy load of B######s. Some worse than others.

Reaction score
Litter is a problem along the banks. What gets me is how anglers put their rubbish in a bag then tie it up and throw it into the bank. But its not always on the bank they throw it into the lake as well. A few years back we pulled some weed out of a lake and found a good number of tins within the lake. Hate to think what would happen if a fish rubbed up against them but why do they do it.
I find private waters tend to be much cleaner than day/club waters.
I fish a stretch on the Kennet thats syndicate water, quite a bit of dosh is required to join along with references and I have yet to see any rubbish on the bank there.
This is one reason why I like syndicate waters now instead of clubs.

J

John Hepworth

What gets at me are the ones who tie their rubbish in plastic carrier bags - then hang them from the bloody trees. Are these people taking the P or what?
A fatal mistake is to actually put a rubbish bin at fisheries. If there isn't a bin on a CLUB water most people take their rubbish away with then, if there is they expect others to do it for them. Why these people think, and expect, others to take THEIR rubbish away God only knows. As I have said on another thread, would they treat their own home in this fassion?

W

Wolfman Woody

They probably do John, that's the saddest part of it.

Years ago I was fishing after a flood on the Thames and I'd sen already an enormous bin bag full of rubbish stuck out on the limb of a tree over the water. Couldn't reach it safely so there it stayed until this wiseacre walker spotted it.

He muttered something to his wife about "filthy anglers" and I shouted him. He stopped and I told him that I'd overheard his remark that was intended more for me than his wife. I then asked him to look very carefuly at the bag and through it the contents could clearly be seen. I asked him how did he think that we anglers would use "Pampers" nappies?

I got a disgruntled apology eventually.

M

mel Crighton

At a commercial that I fish the bailiff puts the peg number on your ticket and ask your name leave your peg a shithole you won't be allowed in again, all the pegs are grass banks which are mown every monday nice and clean. hope it stays that way.

A

Ashe Hurst

its not just on the bank, litter is every where.
yet as soon as litter is seen around water its us lot who take the flack. Then theres those LAZY F***S who shove bags into bushes, reeds.

On the Cray we know when anglers have been fishing , Out of season too cos the Silly arses leave fag boxes, bread bags, worm tubs and beer cans.

we pick it up, but then theres local residents, not all of them but a few who will walk along with the kids & dogs. leaving a trail of Ice pop packets, coke cans , crisp bags and dog crap.
we have walked along behind them with litter picker and bin bag, cleaning up, then make a point of making our preasence known. it normaly turns them red or we may get asked " Are you some kind of ****"?

Its society as a whole who need draging up by their ears. Not just the odd Lazy angler.

the Laws must be enforced and examples made of the litter lout.

Our council are out cleaning the streets all day, then start again the next day.
we clan up the Cray, but the areas that have public access soon fill with crap whilsat others are no staying cleaner for much longer.

its a situation that is hard to police, thats why we must all take a pro active attitude to this and Clean up ourselfs, even if its not ours. People see this and the messeage soon starts to get through.

as for the Thames, check out www.thames21.org.uk

T

Twainy

I fished a beautiful fishery this weekend, Clevely Bridge near Lancaster. See the venue report for more info.
I have to give the benefit of the doubt to these two guys who put all their rubbish from two swims into two carrier bags and then left them at the waters edge.
Its a bit difficult to believe they didnt see them when they left.

B

Budgie Burgess

Johns point about rubbish bins is very true.

I spent many years on private waters and thought that the litter issue had finnaly been resolved.When I returned to the country I stayed at a mates house.The small park opposite had a small commercial style pond run by a local club.Day tickets were issued.I only fished it twice as despite the fishing being very good it wasnt really my thing.I did however walk the dog around it on a daily basis.Despite seeing a bailiff there on a regular basis collecting ticket money there was always rubbish every where.Anglers rubbish to.

Its a problem that always has and will be a part of angling.A sad and defeatist attitude maybe but the only way I have found is to join waters where there is no litter and thump the first idiot you see going to leave some.

N

Nick Austin 2

i hate to say this, but the worst litter is fishing tackle packaging, this is a serious problem on the now beautiful kennet.
Whats annoying is that it's so bloody obvious that it is the anglers who chuck it!!!..
luncheon meat tins in the loddon!, same thing!.

I thought us anglers were meant to be pulling together!.. but i also think that there are some anglers outside of the unwritten rules when it comes to caring for the environment and it's creatures!.

May i take this opertunity to remind EVERY~ONE to chop up their disguarded line after re-spooling for the new season, or preferably burning it!

M

mel Crighton

AND PUT A BLACK SACK IN THEIR BOX AND USE IT,
THEN TAKE IT HOME WITH THEM!!!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This may come as a surprise to some people, but he best kept water and surrounding land I have been to was in Merseyside.
The bailiffs were scousers and they were on the ball with anything that might be happening. There was not so much as a ciggy but on the floor, nobody left there rods in the water even for a call of nature, and the use of bad language was strictly forbidden as members of the public often walked around the lake. Why can't more waters be like this?
The answer is down to the secretary's and committeee's of any club. An instant ban is what made this particular water so successfull.

B

Budgie Burgess

Good point about the mono Nik.For years I just put it in a bin at home untill a mate pointed out what would hapen once it got emptied at the dump.Cut up into couple of inch lengths or better still as Nik says burnt it cant hurt anyone.

T

The Monk

not just the scourge of angling, but on society whole, interestingly, many major railway stations no longer have litter bins on them?, and I`ve found litter on the highest most isolated mountains and in some of the deepest caves, the scum that deposits their filth have no boundries and come from all classes and walks of life, professional right down to scrounging scum bags. As long as no one sees them or someone else picks it up, they don`t give a monkeys (no offence Cheeky and Deck), The only way round it is for the Government to launch a public anti litter campaign and change the slant on society and the way they see litter bugs

N

Nick Austin 2

of course, the lack of bins on railway stations is to stop people BOMBING them isn't it?..

Slightly off subject, but i think the likes of Mcdonalds etc should have to pay some sort of packaging tax, or refuse tax, as they are a major cause of littering.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No offence mate,
But why punish Mcdonalds for someone elses loutish behavior? Blame someone else, that's the usual way out but won't solve the problem

W

Wolfman Woody

I think the point Nick is makign is the fact that these fast food chains attract the sort of people who are likely to drop litter and they are glad of their business.

In Wycombe, MacDonalds sound out people now to collect litter from the High Street, but now sooner than they do and some other yob drops some more.

Perhaps a lesson I taught some kids once, might help. Many years ago (with my first dog) I'd walk into the woods late at night and cider bottles came hurtling over the trees and smash in front of me. It happened a few times then I got tee'd off and collected all the bits carefully. Walked back out of the woods and when the yobs had gone indoors I dropped it all over their front step. It never happened again.

W

Wolfman Woody

"MacDonalds sound out people" no they don't. They SEND out people.

M<y trypings gotting as bid as Munks

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I see the point now monkey, Mcdonalds seem to be playing their part in sending people out to pick the litter up. But as someone said on here , it's about time the authaurities really clamped down on the litter louts themselves. I remember last year two lads who were fishing amidst a ton of rubbish. Beer cans, about forty of them, food trays, pop bottles, it was a cess pit. When I asked them how could they sit in this shite, all they said was it doesn't bother us mate. They had no licences either, plus they both had cans of beer in their hands. They were hoofed off pretty smartish.

B

Budgie Burgess

Sending people out to pick up others rubbish is not the way ahead.It is in my opinion counter productive."I drop my litter on the floor and magically it isnt there later" fine but they forget that Micky D's dont have people picking up crap in the countryside.About somes this country up-think for the stupid so they never have to bother thinking for themselves.Bring back the birch I say!