where can i find???

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i was watching an old john wilson programme last week where he was making his own floats from reeds.i already refurbish old quils and avon style floats and fancy having a bash at making my own floats.has anyone else seen this edition of go fishing who might know where i can source some of the reeds used???

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I saw it a whule back. Lovelly looking Floats. The reeds were the same as used buy roof thatchers.

Hope this helps

W

Wolfman Woody

You don't say on your profile where you're form Nick. Anywhere south of Birmingham just take a walk along a river, you're bound to come across a huge clump of Norfolk reeds somewhere. You need a lot to sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

I had a contact years ago, a chap from Cambridgeshire, he bought a load of stuff off a one-time float maker. He parted with quite a bit of stuff for a small price and I still have a lot left. There was peacock quills, crow quills, porcupine quills and what is a good alternative to Norfolk reed, Sarcandas reed.

It's straighter, stronger, and casts better, but in the end you can't beat a bird quill for flying. It's what they were designed for.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
cheers for that......just for the record i live in northants....i`d of thought that norfolk reed or sarcandas would be easier to source than peacock quill etc......
the trouble with peacock quill i find is that it tends to bow after a while rather than stay straight and true...i dont know if this is down to how you store floats???? even shop brought ones tend to go wonky after a while....the large quantity of porcupine quill floats i have are still straight and robust despite being donkeys years old......

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Nick if there is any big house nearby that keeps peacocks then have a word as they shed them every year. I got a full tail for a fiver about 10 years ago still using them.

W

Wolfman Woody

Thanks for that reminder Tom, that guy in that list sounds like the bloke I got my stuff off.
Gerald Green Floats,
9 Beverley Court,
Thorney Road,
Eye,
Peterborough.
PE6 7UL

I know he was up near Peterborough somewhere.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
thanks again for all the replies....in my old parcel force days,i used to deliver to a manor house quite regulary which had peacocks in the grounds but i stayed well clear of em cos i was pecked by one!!!i never thought of asking for the quills though....you never do at the time!!!
i`ll give the chap in eye a try to see what he has to offer and i may try the yellow pages for a thatcher who could put me onto some one who could sell me a bundle of good reeds.....
by the sounds of it theres a good market for float making materials......it would be nice to see an advert for some one selling everything from reeds to quills to ready made balsa bodies etc.......

K

Keith Orange

Haven't seen sarkandas reed for a long time in the shops. I think it comes from Spain. I stopped using it because it's delicate and paint doesn't stick to it well.

Remember the fashion for elder pith in the 1960's ? It's easily obtained yet nobody bothers with it nowadays.

D

david bruce 1

Keith
I have still got some elder pith float I made in the 60s but I got the idea then, from a book written in around 1930s. Perhap it will come back into fashion although it cannot be automated so perhaps not. Super floats though.