The tench strikes back

G

Gary Knowles 2

My mate caught a 6lb+ male tench at the weekend and guess what it coughed up in the net ?...A jack pike about the size of a gudgeon - anyone ever experienced similar ?

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
Hi Gary......The nearest I have seen to this was in a Pike match at Boundry Water Park where a guy had a 7lb Bream on a Roach deadbait! The fish was hooked cleanly in its mouth and had quite clearly attempted to eat the bait. Funny thing was this was all he caught.

Joskin

Reaction score
Its good to here that the Tench are getting their owen back.

Just think that a couple of years down the line and that same Pike could have been eating the Tench.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Of course fish eat other fish, irrespective of species. I have caught dace spitting out minnows, roach spitting out sticklebacks and bream with tiny brean in their mouths.

This I saw in Ireland many years ago.

smith2

Reaction score
My goldfish, about 6 inches long, (long deceased now) eat two small pike about three inches long that I put in the tank. It also ate over 50 small mirrors, about 2-3 inches long. I also had a tench of about 6-7 inches that would eat small dead perch and roach that I put in for the eel. I always kept my bedroom door locked!

G

Gary Knowles 2

"I always kept my bedroom door locked!"...yeah, but that was just to keep Matt out, eh Mick ?

P

Phil Hatton

But seriously folks !!

Last season I spent some time trying for a catfish on one of my club waters. On one rod I fished boilies, on one liver and the last had a sprat on it. Guess what ?
I caught tench on all three.

S

Shane Morrison

Mick, I think you should go buy some proper fishfood! Nowonder poor goldy died! Look at what you where feeding it!