krystonite line

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
This looks a decent line in the write-up, just hope its as good as they say it is, no reason to think otherwise I suppose.

Just one point, what does fluorocarbon coated mean, and does that mean its a fluorocarbon line?

F

Frothey

its a "normal" line with a flouro coating. whats the point then?

i've just got some and spooled up 1 rod with it (the other two i have powerpro braid on)

i was getting liners on the rod with krystonite on, which are quite rare on teh water being a very pressured day ticket venue, so obviously the fish didnt see it

the coating gives it a very smooth finish - dont fish far enough out to comment on the casting abilities!

flouro's are naturally heavy, in this case heavy enough that it was making my (very light) bobbins twitch up - no wind so it wasnt the tow.

initial impressions are pretty good...

L

Les Clark

I need to change my line so I will give it a go,if its good enough for frothy ect, ect.

Reaction score
Its not bad. I gave it a bash today and so far I like it.
Just one thing I would like is a line remaining indicator so you get an idea of how much line is left, like the ESP ones or a sticker like Nash line has.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Frothey, if it has the properties and advantages of a fluorocarbon line then the advantage of having no memory is a nice bonus wouldn't you say, especially if its as supple as they say. Never seen a fluoro line yet that doesn't act like barbed wire so I'll buy it on that premise alone

G

Gary Knowles 2

I've been using it for a while now and I'v got to say I'm very impressed.

Like Frothey said, I get liners on it too and not on my other main line - therefore (if there are no suspended particles clinging to it) the fish don't see it.

It's soft, it behaves impeccably on the spool, even when first loaded.

From an abrasion resistent point of view I havent done any tests but I know it was tested in the most extreme environment you can get - Carribean saltwater flat fishing. If the sand, coral and salt have no effect on its performance our UK waters will be a doddle.

Agian to quote Frothey initial impressions are all pretty good...

F

Frothey

i've only used it in anger once graham, and it did loop a bit, although it did get better after a few casts...thats the advantage of flouro coated as opposed to pure flouro.
flouro's are normally a bit brittle, a sudden tug can snap them, whereas the krystonite had a bit more give in it.

you'd expect fiko carp not to see it gary, but the clever chub and barbel? must be good....:)

F

Frothey

not tested myself, but its quoted as knot strength tied with a palomar (i think)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Tests on the higher breaking strains, ie, 12lb plus, so far indicate that the lines are breaking at 2lb more than the stated bs, ie, 12lb is breaking at 14lb. That figure is approximate but will be much more accurate when the long term review(s) are published.

Reaction score
Quite happy so far with the line. Have found it does not curl like some lines after a few good fights.
Tried both Palomor and Grinner knots to see how it ties. The Palomor hangs straight each time where the Grinner has a habit of curling the line.Thats the hook knot by the way that I was trying it out on.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The Grinner Knot reduces the strength of Krystonite by about 20%. The Blood Knot comes a close second to the Palomar when tying Krystonite. It's a little known fact but most fluorocarbon lines or fluorocarbon coated lines are better with blood knots than grinners. The palomar being best of the lot.

Best to remember that not all line types are suited to the same knots.

Reaction score
Good comment Graham I will say I only fished with the Palomar knot tied.

What type of instruments are used for testing line strengths and is there an industry set standard for these instruments. Just interested in how they test lines.

J

jason fisher

is there a thread on tying the palomar because i'm never sure i've tied it correctly.

Reaction score
Not sure Jason but someone who knows the site better maybe able to help you.

Its good to see that all Kryston lines come with diagrams on how to attach the lines correctly. Well done Kryston shame more don't follow this example.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Frothey,

Not used it for clever chub and barbel yet...just tench.

Shouldn't make too much difference to ratfish though. Provided there is food on one end the pigs with fins will eventually find it ;o)