members review

S

si

cheers graham i hope i contributed in some way to fm with my review .the book looks cool carnt wait to read it and to top it off i found out i won on me and the girlfreinds 5 annvers and five days after meeting john wilson at chatsworth nice one fm

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks to you Simon, you did indeed make an important contribution to FM. And thanks to all those anglers who take the time and trouble to review their tackle and bait in the Member (User) Review system.

The Member Review section ('You Say') took a lot of time and expense to set up. I pushed for it because I thought it would be used much more than it is across the other sites in the Magicalia Portfolio (Golfmagic, Bikemagic, Outdoorsmagic) because we anglers probably have more gear and bait to choose from than all those other activities put together, but FM's user review system is the least used of all four sites.

Is this another instance of angler apathy?

I don't know, but the Member Review database would be a massive help to all out visitors in choosing tackle if more members would help to make the database richer by reviewing their own gear. What better advice can you have than that of actual users?

The user reviews can be, and are, stitched together with the editorial reviews ('We Say') to make a really useful resource.

If only our members would help each other by reviewing their own gear.

L

Les Clark

Graham,I dont think that apathy come`s into it,at the moment there are at least four thread`s,Harrison rod`s,krystonite line,which quiver holdall,best ribble hooks which are being "reviewed" by F/M members.
Its a case of someone bring`s up a topic and before you know it it`s being talked about?reveiewed,you are as guilty as anybody else mate.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You've lost me. What exactly am I guilty of?

L

Les Clark

Reviewing tackle on a normal thread and not on the members review section.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Either you're confused or I am Les. I haven't said that we shouldn't be discussing tackle on the forum. That'd be a bit daft considering we have a section of the forum called 'Tackle and Bait' which, incidentally, links directly with the Member Review system.

I think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

All I'm saying is that we have a Member Review section which isn't being used as much as I expected. I'm not saying we shouldn't be discussing tackle on the forum.

But I'm certainly guilty of not reviewing anything myself on the Member Review section. My department is editorial reviews where you'll find plenty of reviews from me.

The most important reviews are from users though, the guys who part with their hard-earned to buy the stuff. And that's what I'm trying to encourage.

W

Wolfman Woody

Whoa, Les. Graham's in a different positon, being editor of FM, as the reviews are supposed to be "MEMBERS" reviews.

Graham's reviews come under the FM banner and he does a hell of a lot of them. However, when members asked for help on a thread it's open to general comment and in there, Graham is as much entitled to an opinion as anyone else.

I see what he means about "apathy" though. I'm sure many members have thought of putting up a thread on a product only to find it or even the manufacturer is not listed. It's a simple matter of Emailing Graham and getting him to put the manufacturer and product up. 10 mins is all it takes (if he's not out fishing!)

S

si

to be honest i try not to buy any tackle until i have read a review on fm .these reviews and feedback are from first hand experience and in my opinon there the best . these reveiws are going to tell us if it fell apart after leaving the shop
or fell of the roof rack at 60mph and is still going strong .the weeklys /monthlys can only fit so many reviews in each edition before it turns into 'witch' magazine .

with the shear ammount of members on fm the review section on fm could end up be the most comprehensive guide to tackle
on the net

i still have more tackle i havent reviewed yet so i wont waste any time filling in the gaps on the members review

F

Frothey

you see people asking "whats best, fox "x" or fox "y" " when there are reviews on the section. also, you'll get 5 or 6 people say how great they are, but not put anything in the review section.

i know you have a limited pool of prizes, but if someone thinks they are going to win something, they might be less apathetic!

L

Les Clark

Graham,I may have got the wrong end of the stick and im not trying to make a issue out of it,all i mean is that most of us do a tackle reveiw on a thread without thinking as the norm,where maybe it should go on the tackle review..

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with discussing tackle on the forum, but if the review system is used it just makes it so much easier for anyone to look up a certain item and see what others think of it. That's what it was designed and built for.

And then they can post a forum thread if they want to discuss that certain item.

I'm not trying to get at anyone, I'm just trying to understand why such a facility that is so popular on Bike, Golf and Outdoors (magic) is so underused on FM when anglers have so much more tackle and bait to tell each other about.

W

Wolfman Woody

Take on board my point about not having the item or manufacturer up on site. Is it not the case that in golf, for example, you don't have that many pieces of tackle to play with. A few clubs, a bag, and a load of balls (pardon the expression) that you need to wear those awful clothes.

In fishing it doesn't end with a few rods, some reels and a hook. Look in your average tackle box and there's probably at least 50 or more different items plus the box they go in, plus the bag the box goes in, plus the cart the bag goes on. And that's just one aspect of fishing. Now what about carp, trout, stalking, piking, barbel hunting, match fishing before you get to the baits.

There are thousands of items for the fisherman, but as I said, if you can't find it Email Graham and he'll put it up.

F

Frothey

dont beleive that about golf jeff, my brother was telling me about how many clubs and variants taylor made bring out....they're like the fox of golf....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
As Jeff says, if a certain brand is missing all you have to do is email me. Better still, in the brands list there is a line that says 'If you can't find the brand you are looking for please let us know', and the 'let us know' is a direct link to my email address.

I've had four emails over this weekend so far via that link and added Argos, Carrilon, Airflo and Good Fishing.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

As Graham say, get reviewing tackle, even if you have had it some years. Reviewing well used tackle gives members an idea how well built and durable the item is.

I read the tacke reviews quite often.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The member review section is a means of getting members opinions on tackle and bait into the one area and making it easy to see what the collective opinion is. The section links to the forum where the gear can be discussed and to the editorial reviews where pictures of the item can be seen.

It can be a wonderfully rich resource for anyone seeking information and opinion on gear from those who matter most - the users of that gear, the ones who parted with hard cash and use it regularly.

But it will only work if members review their gear and bait and swell the database of information.