your worst bivvie neighbours

L

Les Clark

Over the year`s can you remember a really bad neighbour in the next swim,who you have had to thump or as made you pack up and go home?

J

jim turner

i had someone in the swim next to me who turned up, about 3 hours after me. there were carp feeding clearly, in the margins. so he proceeded to use a mallet to put his bank sticks in, chuck a marker float around and spook every fish in 3 miles, then spoded to spots randomly just for the fun of it. and when i started catching fish he actually asked is he could fish in my swim! needless to say i told him where to go!

Best bivvy neighbour..... Terry Hearn! unfortunately he left bout 2 hours after i arrived. he did give me some tips and have a chat though. top bloke! but would have loved to chat to him more! jt

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A group of plonkers who were walking around the lake deciding if they should bother fishing or not.
they saw me catch a couple of carp, dashed back to their cars and casted all around the area I was catching in. F88888g numbskulls.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A few years ago I had carefully planned and prebaited a swim on one of my local club's lakes for late July. In fact, to be on the safe side I had actually prebaited 3 swims as I knew the chances of not getting onto my furst chice was high.

I arrived at the lake at about 5am and set-up my peg for a 2 nights session.
At about 4pm on the first day a chap came along and asked me how long I was going to stay. I told him another day and a half. Whereupon he promptly set up his bivvy right behind me saying that he was prepared to wait!

If that wasn't bad enough he spent most of the early evening playing his radio loudly and chatting with his mate on his damn cell phone.

Early next morning I walked the lake to check my other prebaited swis which were by now all occupied.
After a quick breakfast I packed up and drove off for a day on my local stretch of the Avon.

Some people simply should not be allowed out in the company of others!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

One Linear fisheries there used to be a mob that gathered around one guys bivvy and had a long drinking session every evening.

Talk about a racket.

Then one of them would get a run and he would chase off in the darkness to get to his rod running along the back like a fairy elephant.

You see them regularly - more special brews than tackle. These guys invariably all look the same - tattoos, shaven heads, mighty beer guts and even hooks through their eyebrows.

If I owned a fishery I would want a strict dress code.

L

Les Clark

Ron,I can understand the noise thing ,that would piss me off too,but a strick dress code?a tad over the top, black tie & wellys?

B

Big Rik

A club I used to belong to had a dress code.
Trousers and shirt were compulsary, although you didn't have to wear a tie.
It was mainly inhabited by older people and it did keep the morons away, although some of the rulings of the committee were certainly stuck back in the 1930's.
Barley straw bales to keep the weed down, tench as doctor fish etc etc.

L

Les Clark

Rik,I don`t wear "normal" trouser`s and shirts in "real" life ,jeans and t shirt do for me,so again Ron,no strict dress code please.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Try getting a day on a beat of the Test dressed like that Les, even if you flash a million quid at them.

Problem for me is that jeans are blue, and don't complement the colours of the English countryside. Moleskinn trousers in lovat look better. Secondly, T shirts are not particularly colour compatible and are darned cold in winter. A green coloured cotton shirt looks better on the bank. A Tattersall shirt with a lambswool jersey looks good.

Third, I have stopped wearing baseball caps - period.

Today I wear a leather bush hat which is far more practical.

And it looks the part in any company.

B

Big Rik

you made a typing error in the last line Ron.

you've spelt "p a r t" incorrectly....

Dress code has nothing to do with days on the Test.
The Salmon Pool at Testwood, probably the most known beat on the most famous salmon chalk stream in the world and some of the bloody scruffy oiks on there wouldn't get served in most pubs.
Bernard Cribbins for starters.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I say old chap what the heck is happening. No tweeds or regimental tie what?

I'd have the lot flogged.

L

Les Clark

Ron ,for me to fish the test,some one else would have to pay,I also don`t wear jean`s on the bank,army cams or light weights,t shirts yes,baseball hat ,never worn one in my life,I also have a ozz bush hat,it belonged to my late father in law , Mick,which I must get to use.

alan

Reaction score
worst for me has to be the chinese( dont take it the wrong way) they only fish when the bass are about(you never see them on the beaches in the winter) the try to use fresh water gear when 6oz wieghts are being dragged by the current, they contsantly cross your lines, and they keep bass no ,matter what size(ive seen them keep bass 4inches long).

but on the bright side, watching another fisherman get so p***ed off with them that he grabbed on and hung him over the side of a bridge was fun.

M

mel Crighton

Dress Code for angling, What ever next, I wear me army cammo's light weights in summer,and me spec suit in winter,have to wear a bush hat though the reflection of the sun on me head spooks the fish haha.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Some guys take it to the extreme of course and look like an SAS combatant.

They'll be losing themselves one day with all this "Real Tree" stuff... ;o)

alan

Reaction score
some in my bright orange floatation suit, it will be no good me fishing a river then?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

OK Rik, so I am a silly old fart and a decaying dinosaur.

Proud of it though..... :eek:)

L

Les Clark

I wouldn`t go that far Ron.....................................................yet!

P

pons

I am not advocating Dress suits,but it is easy to look reasonably smart on the bank these days, Match Anglers ,thanks to Sandra Halkon Hunt,now Scotthorne,usually are very well presented and now most speci lads are the same,albeit camoed up.

Game Anglers are usually the smartest,and wear some real classy gear,though it is expensive,but last ages.

The smartest Angler I have ever met ,both on and off the bank has to be Mr Immaculate,the one and only Bob Church,and he is an absolute Gentleman too,a real credit to our sport.

As an EA bailiff I have often witnessed the effects of heavy drinking on the bank,and the rowdy behaviour that can go with it,and if I was a fishery owner would ban all alcohol,water and heavy drinking to not go together.
A mate of mine calls them "Stella Heads",very apt and true,though I have rarely seen it on expensive syndicate waters,or where good anglers are present,usually its on day ticket venues,where convenience and easy access and smaller stamp fish are present.
Of course I accept that having a drink does not cause a problem,but some go just to drink,and fishing is just an excuse to be there.
The Pons.

L

Les Clark

Chris, The only time that I dont drink is when im fishing, with the exception of the F/M, charity fish in which is also a bit of a social event,but I have rarely come across trouble on the bank through drink,but it happens and the club im with at the moment,mid kent waters will ban for life anybody that is found to be the worst for drink on thier waters, which in my mind is fair.