Airborne Bream??!?

Reaction score
I went fishing to a local pool yesterday and caught a load of 4lb-ish bream on the float about one rod length out in five foot of water.

Nothing unusual there...

BUT four out of five hooked fish screamed off like carp before leaping like trout up to four foot out of the water!!!?!

I have never seen anything like it!

These airborne fish were an equal mixture of male and female (you could tell by the tubercles). Even the few that didn't fly fought like no bream I've ever hooked.

What has got into this turbo-charged bream? Anything to do with spawning time?

Has anyone else experienced flying slabs?

Why don't they do this all the time?

Last edited:

keith harris

Reaction score
Hi

Same thing happened to me fishing my local caravan ponds big bream flying out the water at speed. It as happened lots of times at commercials i fish..One lad i no fishing a end peg had to get one out of the top of a bush it had flew into when it launched out of the swim.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've had it happen too ****y, we were amazed!!! And couldn't stop laughing!

I can't remember exactly what time of year it was, but it might have been during the closed seasons a few years ago?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
it does surprise

I have caught loads of bream over the years and most are typical dead slabs but, every now and then one does surprise and fights like a demon. I dont know why this is but they do seem more animated around spawning time. I have often seen them rolling at this time and seem to do thih more often at spawning although not exclusively.

jcp01

Reaction score
I've had roach do this and behave like trout, but not bream! Some canal bream fight hard for the species but I don't exactly take care of my clutch settings in expectation of a ding dong battle!

A bream up a tree...now there's a thing!

Reaction score
It was a thoroughly entertaining spectacle, I should have tried to photograph them really but I was having too much fun catching them.

Curiously the flying bream all swam in exactly the same direction on the first furious run and all 'took off' from the water at about the same point.

Superb fun!

My mate Jim had one fly into a bankside tree too, but luckily it fell back in.

Perhaps they're trying to nest! LOL :)

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I had a bream jump through a gap in some bridge stanchions and ended up hanging of the bridge until my mate released it. Mad.

sagalout

Reaction score
We have a club water where quite often the first indication of a bite is the bream leaving the water.

Reaction score
So do we think this crazy and thoroughly entertaining injection of nitrous oxide in bream is 'season specific (spawning time)' or 'venue specific' behaviour?

I suspect from the posts so far that this is season specific behaviour

Reaction score
Slime,

Do the ones that don't 'launch' on your waters still fight like turbo-charged beasts?

All of the bream I hooked yesterday including the non-fliers could easily have been mistaken for small carp for the first minute or so.

mcdejer16

Reaction score
the water that sagalout, slime and I (me in the past) fish, the bream/skimmers do this very regularly. These fish never used to be leapers but it started to happen after introduction of pellet to the water.

Steve King

Reaction score
I've never had a bream leap. but I had a bream of 4lb or so from the Teme that went absolutely mental! It charged up and down at an amazing rate!

The bream had obviously had a hard life - it had old healed scars all over it's body - a veritable gladiator of a bream!

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Perhaps it's an early season fight or flight thing?? Most fish around spawning time are a bit sketchy. Maybe later in the season, once they've calmed down a bit and resumed their cow-like ways and get on with the business of filling their bellies properly, over a bed of feed, they don't freak out so much. Competitive feeding often subdues otherwise spooky fish.