Float Fishing Help

Rob Smith 2

Reaction score
Any help here appreciated,being up in Scotland I was always fishing for pike,as not any places near me with carp,tench rudd etc.
Was fishing the float in the margins and have had a few nice fish,but tried fishing at distance with the float,and was getting bites regularly,but never connected with any of the fish,can anybody help me out as to how to hit these bites.
Any advice gratefully received.

Rob Smith 2

Reaction score
Sorry about 40-50 feet out and depth 4 feet,just can't hit the bites at all,and they are not just small taps float is sailing away every time.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Make sure you cast past the fishing spot and sink your rod tip well under water. Draw the float back to where you are fishing sinking the line. This should keep the line tight to the float. When you strike keep the rod low and strike to the side.

A stiff action rod of 13 to 15 feet is the minimum length to use longer if you can this helps with line pick up.

Hope this helps

Rob Smith 2

Reaction score
Thanks for that,I will try that think I will have to get a new rod,think this could be causing a problem,it is quite a cheap rod I have, am away to have a look and see what I can get thanks again much appreciated.