Fish the Trent -- 29/5/10-- NOW!!

flightliner

Reaction score
I have just put the phone down after speaking to a friend who informs me that an "angler" is sat (right now) fishing, two rods, bivvy, the works, just a little way below Nottingham on a popular strech of the river Trent where he is /can be seen by all.When challenged he said that the season to fish on rivers is from the middle of April:j:j.
Only the other day two like minded individuals were seen dy passing motorists from the bridge at Dunham on the tidal reaches who were making no attempt to be less obvious. It really p****s me off when cretins like this pay absolutely no heed to the rules that 99.9% of anglers abide by but even worse is the fact that I have never been asked by anyone belonging to an enforcement agency to produce my liscence on this river since the late sixties!!:mad::mad::mad: It really isn't good enough that this sort of behaviour should still be allowed to carry on in this day and age.
ps-- the cretin has just been pursuaded to clear off!! ---- rant over.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Should have rang the E.A mate, 0800 number on rear of license.

You never know they might have sent someone out :wh

flightliner

Reaction score
Should have rang the E.A mate, 0800 number on rear of license.

You never know they might have sent someone out

Steve, did that some three years ago when four oriental guys started set lining with multi-hook rigs at the side of me on the Trent.Rang the guy at the EA and told him what was happening and where and if someone came straight away they would be caught in the act but they couldnt care less as no one showed up! the owner of the car by the way owned a local "china-diner"! makes you think eh !

klik2change

Reaction score
Steve, did that some three years ago when four oriental guys started set lining with multi-hook rigs at the side of me on the Trent.Rang the guy at the EA and told him what was happening and where and if someone came straight away they would be caught in the act but they couldnt care less as no one showed up! the owner of the car by the way owned a local "china-diner"! makes you think eh !
Perhaps it is simply that the EA do not have people standing by in case something happens. All of their workers will be detailed to go somewhere and do planned work, not to sit around waiting for something to happen.

cg74

Reaction score

Makes me think, just dial 999, cos the only licence check I've ever had in 30 years was by a police officer, so I can only assume they have some level of jurisdiction to enforce a prosecution upon such blatant flouts in the law.

Me, I detest the close season, serves no useful purpose blah blah, BUT I live with it, so others can too, and ignorance is no defence!!

A pointless exercise complaining but doing nothing, even if the EA for whatever reason fail to act.
The old bill (rozzers, bobbies, filth, pigs, mingres or whatever you wish to call em) HAVE to attend every incident reported to them, failure to do so should result in a official complaint being lodged, end of!

Lionel

Reaction score
There was a couple of blokes fishing the Derwent mouth area of the trent at shardlow last week in full view of everybody right next to one of the busiest club-run lake complexes in the midlands (the controlling club of which also runs the river there).

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Not sure weather it would work on the Trent, but whenever I see 'anglers' obviously coarse fishing on the R Wear out of season I always report it as snatching sea trout. The EA move faster than $h!t from a shovel.

A few years back I telephoned the EA 'HOT LINE' saying I was reporting illegal coarse fishing on the R Wear during the close season; I was asked why did I believe they were fishing illegally :confused:

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want/need the EA to come out immediately then all you have to do is to call them and report a 'massive pollution' incident on the same stretch where angler are fishing ilegally.

Simples!

Of course that was only a joke, I'd never seriously suggest the employment of such underhanded methods . . . . . . . . . . . . it bluidy works though . . . .

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Doubt the EA person would be a fisheries man/woman Peter :)

I've just had to edit my post through a typo, holding down CTRL and repeatedly clicking + enables one to actually see the text. It's called getting old :D

What always amuses me with the EA is when they ask for a car registration :rolleyes:
Unless any 'fisher-person' is miles away from anywhere and parked next to the river how in the world is one expected to know which is their car/vehicle :wh​

Last edited:

Lionel

Reaction score
Ill join you, had a cracking bag of Barbel and chub last week. It was strange, cos the stretch i fished is usually stitched up but i had it to myself all day. Surprising considering the beautiful weather we had. Come to think of it, the area didnt look like it had been fished at all recently, wierd. Get down there lads the fish are having it big time!

only joking!!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It wouldn't really matter John, they are obliged to take action when on the scene.
If he wasn't a fisheries enforcement officer he wouldn't give a damn. In fact, he might give you a rollocking for putting in a false report...

Sad thing is, for Thames region there is an enormous force of ................ 3 enforcement officers to cover every river from Lechlade to Teddington - and they must be sent out in twos now because of threats of violence they received in the past.

It would be nice to think that there was a EA Cop standing by straddled across a powerful Hog just waiting for that call and then speeding off to collar an offender. Dream on....... :j :j :j

2_miami_springs_motorcycle_officer.jpg

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
might have but probably wouldnt,actions like this should result in confiscation of tackle,.

If you dont call they won't come out, call and at least you have done all you can. If anglers can't be bothered to call, then there is no point anglers going on about it, it's in all anglers interest to do their bit for our sport.

Having a close season on rivers is a joke anyway, for those fishing the Trent now and getting away with it, good luck to them, why not, it's clear those that are worried about it can't make the call that is needed.

flightliner

Reaction score
Another phone call, another friend, the same locality but this time there are four that are abusing the close season on the Trent. I was in town shopping when he called and remembering that Steve Spiller said about the EA number being on the back of the fishing liscence I told him to check if he had his in his wallet-- he did, and when he rang they told him they were going to send somebody out to deal with the culprits.- RESULT!!

Steve Plant

Reaction score
....Jeffs' picture...

takes you back to CHiPS on a Saturday night...wonder what Poncherello is up to these days?

:)