A Great Day For Juniors

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's allways good to see youngsters coming into the sport. I wouldn't mind betting there are one or two of these kids hooked for life allready.They need to expierience as many aspects of angling as possible and not get caught up in any one dicipline.
Kids also need not only the support of their parents (being there) but also the help and support of us more expierienced anglers. I am allways ready to help youngsters out, as are a lot of people on this forum. It's a great feeling when a certain youngster you may have helped years back, comes up to you when you are fishing, and asks how you are doing. The youngster is now 16 years of age but he still remembers those all important early years.

Andrew Robinson 3

Reaction score
Agreed, I wish i'd had got involved more when i was younger, when you actualyl have time to go fishing!

Well said baz!

L

Les Clark

Baz,I went out for a carp session on sunday afternoon ,the lake is about 12acre`s but long about 90yards wide.
Most of the carp boys were comeing off which is what I had hoped,the carp were following the wind which meant a walk of about 500yards to the top of the lake with all the gear,which for a old unfit git is no laugh.
The last swim which is a weedy bay was occupied by this young lad of about 12years old,the swim one down from him was free so I moved into it,the swim down from me was empty,the next two were occupied by acouple of boys about 16.
There were a lot of carp crashing around,and it stayed cloudy and the temperature was up,pefect.
A lot of the carp were showing under the bushe`s on the far margins,which is about 90yds across,this young boy in the top swim said to me "If it`s all right with you I would like to put a bait tight to that bush to your right" I told him that would be fine ,my 3rd bait nowhere near,now this lad was about 12 and about 4ft tall and Im thinking no chanch ,he wont do it.
Fair play to the boy ,he had all the consatration of a body builder,on the money no problem,and he did it time after time,he ended up with a mirrior of 15.5lb, a common of 24lb,and I found out later that he had had a 34lb out of another lake aweek ago.
One of the other lads in the swim down from me had a 19.5lb &a25 lb common.
Me? a 7lb tench,back out again tomorrow.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's the thing with some of the youngsters Les, some of them are allready good at what they are doing. I find if you treat them as an equal and not as a child, it often brings the best out in them, as one of the things they want to do is act all grown up, just like us???
One thing to bear in mind is if we look after them now, when we are old and worn out, then they will look after us later on.
I have watched a few of them grow up out of the juniors go through school and sometimes through university and as I say its a great feeling when they call round or ask where you are going fishing so they can come and have a chat.

L

Les Clark

Baz,"All they want to do is act all grown up like us",I bloody hope not!
Im not a good advert for anybody,apart from fosters.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's half the attraction Les, watching the old gits falling over. Have you noticed though mate how they sometimes just want to be one of the lads? All they want is pointing in the right direction. Like the time one of them came around to my house and started winding me up by turning the clock round on the mantlepiece. I set me dog on him, you should have seen him run, hahaha. But we often laugh about it whenever we meet up now although it is some eight years further on.
Or he would say that him and his mates used to night fish on the canal when they shouldn't, and they allways saw me coming and got out of the way. I said to him yes, and I used to like the sound of the pitter patter of tiny feet running off when I appeared, with the lamp post lighting me up from behind. It was only his way of having a laugh with me, but they would try and get one over on you,well who wouldn't? we have all done it, and they are a great bunch of lads now. I knew all the lads in the area and their parents, and where they all lived, so they couldn't get away with nowt with me. Any kids on what I regarded as being on my beat were safe, I made sure of that.

Wayne Duffin 3

Reaction score
I've been teaching my 9 year old nephew how to fish for the past year. I have tought him how to float fish which was a success as he is now quite good with a pb tench of
just over 4lb. I've been trying to teach him how to fish the feeder but it is taking a lot longer than the float but with the success we have had on the float it is worth working at.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One thing I usually do is carry some spare hooks and shot, and a reel of fishing line to give any youngsters I come across a fair chance of catching. Its amazing how many you will see with this horrible thick line and a maggot on a size 16 hook fishing for small perch or roach. I can usually get them catching withinn ten minuits.

M

mcindoe21

I'm 14 and my 1st ever piece of fishing equiptment was a 2 meter whip given to me by a bloke fishing on a lake i was looking around we spent all day fishing and he tought me all i needed to know, now im fishing with a 14.5m pole and loving it all the way. I'm trying to start fly fishing but, well, i don't know what i need and how to do it >< hopefully someone will be able to teach as i walk around the fly fishing lakes when im not fishing coarse/match! GOD BLESS THE OLD FOLK!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good on you mate,
I am sure if you watched quietly for a while when someone is flyfishing, and then went to them at an oppertune moment and asked if they could help you. They would only be too pleased to help out, but you may get the odd grumpy one. What area do you live in? Lancashire, Cheshire, Kent, I am sure there would be people on here who will point you in the right direction.
Good Luck,
Baz.

M

mcindoe21

I live in doncaster near sheffield but mostly i fish in a little town called mabelthorpe near skegness in lincolnshire, hopefully someone will help me and give me a helping hand, although i don't have any equiptment yet as i need to know if i can do it and i do enjoy, thought im sure i will :D

M

mcindoe21

If there is any one who will give ma hand and help me it would be much appreciated :D!

tight lines.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
A few years ago the now defunct Attleborough match group held junior fish ins and matchs. It is a great shame it folded as many youngsters gained great enjoyment from these events. I sincerely hope Kings Lynn AA keep up the good work.

C

Chris Bishop

They have a big junior day planned for Saturday on one of their flagship stillwaters Rich.

P

Phil M

Nice to see a report in this weeks Anglers Mail on a junior open, 57 entrants.