Fuel Cost

J

john conway

I?ve now completed 11 months detailed accounts of my fishing expenditure, which is running as follows: -
Permits ?69 6%
Mags ?46 4%
Bait ?94 9%
Minor Purchase ?332 31%
Major Purchase ?144 13%
Fuel ?294 27%
Parking ?102 9%

With fuel prices looking like rocketing and my second largest expenditure being Fuel it looks like this will become my number 1 expenditure.

How is this going to affect you?

C

Chris Bishop

Dread to think, I usually go 50 - 100 miles in a day. Just hope it's all over by October...!

alan strickland

Reaction score
I drive a company car and private mileage is worked out at a fixed rate currntly 12p per mile,so unless it gets really bad it shouldnt effect me.

Maybe its time for more anglers to car pool not to beat the parking fee`s but to cut on petrol.

Andrew Shields

Reaction score
Living in a remote area of rural Northumberland, fuel expenditure is a major budget issue. Public transport is patchy at best,inconvienient, and expensive in comparison to a car.
As far as angling is concerned I travel to North Yorkshire for my coarse fishing, and although I will try and fish once a week when the season begins, any major hike in fuel prices will ultametly result in a cut back in fishing trips away

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Best way is to get rid of your gas guzzlers and buy a small 1.5 Diesel. By the use of a delicate right foot you should get 80 mpg out of such a vehicle.

Keep the tyre pressures at optimum, accellerate smoothly and get into 5th gear as quickly as possible.

I have such a vehicle and can get myself and all my gear in it without any problem.

Hutch

Reaction score
Please take time to read this you can make a difference

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer.
We need to take some intelligent, united action.
Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day"
campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just
laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by
refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it
was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can
really work. Please read it and join in!
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think
that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p -80p, we need to take aggressive
action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers.
With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take
action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down
is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can
do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling
any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce
their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact,
we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people! I
am sending this note to a; lot of people. If each of you send it to at
least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more
(300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on
to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... .. THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
Again,all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy
at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email
out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people
could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't
think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make
a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

Action:

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your
petrol at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p)Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and
Esso.

Hutch

Reaction score
Didn't mean to submit that then, i wanted to first say that i recieved this e mail at work this is not nessecarily my thoughtds but make of it what you will, can it work???

F

Frothey

but the biggest lump on the cost of fuel is tax. problem is if they dont get revenue from fuel tax, where are they going to get it from?

R

Richard Huggett 1

It may prove to be the incentive I need to give up smoking and put the money in my fuel tank rather than burning it. Given the choice between fishing and smoking...well, there is no choice is there ?

P

Phil Hatton

Not being very well up on current affairs I am not too sure who is responsible for this rise. If it's a price rise then we need fo aim a protest at the Oil Companies, if it's a tax/duty rise then you yell at your MP. Can someone put me right on this so I know who to be pissed off with.

F

Frothey

demand outstripping supply/reserves. traders worrying about saudi security.

J

John Hepworth

I believe he current scare in the price of a barrel of oil has come about through the targeting of Saudi Oil companies by terrorists in that country. Typical of Michael Howard to jump on the bandwagon and blame the government over here.
The last fuel protests almost caused my business to fold

PREDATOR

Reaction score
everyone should go on a go slow then you would save fuel and bring the whole country to a halt just drive at minium legal speed all the time on certain days so it affects everyone
it will soon prick the ears up of the powers that be and if you are late to work etc you can blame everyone else" for this we all need to make a noise not just talk about it on here
if you drive slow it would hold everything back deliveries etc the whole country would be strangled by this action
the truck drivers and companys who run hgv,s aint complaining because the govement give them cheap road tax and tax consessions last time for eg say your truck cost ?900 to tax well now it only cost say ?300 so it kept them from striking BUT US POOR MOTORIST STILL GET RIPPED OFF BECAUSE WE JUST PUT UP WITH IT AND PAY UP
anyone who runs a company vehicle will be ok cos" they will get tax consession,s private car drivers dont" like i say we put up with it and PAY UP
I THINK I GOT ALL THAT THE THE RITE ROAD ROUND SORRY IF IT,S WRONG BUT THATS HOW I FEEL RIPPED OFF"

WHY SHOULD WE PAY FOR THE MOST EXSPESIVE FUEL IN EUROPE" WE ALL MOST BE FOOLS

YOU CAN GO ON YOUR HOLIDAYS ABROAD WERE FUEL IS,NT PRODUCED AND ITS PEANUTS TO BUY HOW DO THEY DO IT

F

Frothey

so, ok. they abolish the tax on fuel....where do they get the money from now?

P

pons

We have a sub standard Public Transport system,outdadated and outmoded,yet pay the most petrol tax in Europe,and still they build more roads.
We do not protest,or say anything,and meekly accept time after time,govt price hikes on fuel.
Fuel is my biggest Fishing and work expense bar none.
I have tried smaller cars,but cant fit into them ,or drive them comfortably,and can't fit me and my mate,plus bivvie equipment and fishing gear.
The Pons.

F

Frothey

thats because most of the fuel tax revenue DOESNT go into transport.....