trapping crayfish

M

michael rouse

Just got a trap for crayfish and have no idea where to set it up in the lake.Any help on where they would be would be appreciated.Its a very weedy lake with deep margins and the occasional clear hole where ducks have kept it clear.

Joskin

Reaction score
Are there any rocky areas?

They seem to inhabit the rocky margins in one of our lakes.

Joskin

Reaction score
just be carefull who sees you trapping as it is ilegal unless you have a special licence.

M

michael rouse

The bailiff has told me i can do it.He wants them out as much as i do.

Joskin

Reaction score
Never the less it is still ilegal.
I just thought I should tell you that incase you didnt already know.

Like I said Rocky areas seem to be good habbitats for the crays in our lakes.

Will you be eating them or just disposing of them?
They do make great eating especially on top of a cold salad at this time of year.
I always have a bag full in the freezer.

M

michael rouse

Iv got permission from the bailiff.No rocky areas.

M

michael rouse

Dont know why i put "i have permission twice".They shall be eaten when iv finished modifying a lobster pot.

L

Les Clark

Michael, what Joskin is trying to say, the bailliff may have given you permission but that may count as much as me giveing you permission,will he pay your fine if you get caught as you don`t have a licence?

M

michael rouse

Ill try to obtain a liscence.Not worth getting kicked out of the club.

jp

Reaction score
A couple of extracts here from the EA website,

Fishing for crayfish in England and Wales is only regulated in the Environment Agency?s Thames Region. Further details on commercial exploitation of crayfish can be found on the Environment Agency?s website by clicking on the Crayfish link at the bottom of the page.

We are currently considering options for regulating fishing for crayfish. If we think that a licensing system and byelaws are needed we will carry out a full consultation with all interested parties.

I would suggest that you at least check with the EA first Michael.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/

J

John Hepworth

Michael, Unless you intend removing them on a commercial basis, and then only the signal species, I doubt very much if the E/A would give a licence. It's an offence even to disturb their habitat.
Unless you're bailiff is from the E/A I would take what he says with a big shovel full of salt.

M

Mike Heylin

Michael, unless the bailiff is the riparian owner he has no authority to give you permission. Licences will only be granted to the controller of the water concerned by the EA.

You can download the relevant application on www.efishbusiness.co.uk, go to forms and then down to netting consents.

If you trap with only the bailiffs consent, the club will probably take a different view, particularly if you do not have the "permission" in writing. I suggest you write to the club secretary and ask his advice before you do anything.