Football fans

Joskin

Reaction score
As a youngster I played football for several local boys teams and used to realy enjoy it, These days I cant stand Football and cant see the attraction.

Perhaps it is because I spend so much time fishing and doing fishing related things that I just dont have the time to follow the game.

Is it just me?

so who follows football and who dont?

M

mel Crighton

I have better thing to do than watch a load of over paid pansies kicking a ball around football is for those that are incapable of doing anything else those that prop up the bars each time a game is played.

Yes I used to play but never enjoyed it as a kid, and still dont rather do something constructive or better still..........

Just go fishing .....ahhh bliss.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

To me, the game, is utterley boring. Even when I went to school and they tried to get me to play I used to prefer the rugby or the cricket field.

They call it the Beautiful Game.

To me it's the biggest waste of time I have ever seen in my life, and the fact that they pay such huge sums to those who play it, is an indictment on the silly people who want to watch it.

M

mel Crighton

A good policy for the Tories then Ron tax them and football clubs at 99.999999999% that should take the wind out of their sails.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Bloody good idea Mel.

Think of all the good we could do with that money. Probably find a cure for cancer.

Dave German

Reaction score
Don't Knock it guys, wanted to go uptiding in may, could'nt get a boat with space for 4, cup final day had a choice of 3, skipper wanted to watch the match on a portable so we had to stay out fishing an extra half hour, really disapointed (not). If you've gat any waters you want to fish but are always full go when england are playing, be nearly empty then, (baliffs will be at home as well).

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Joskin - its not you. I used to love playing and watching football. I have not tried to get my son interested (and fortunately he has shown no inclination off his own back). I also used to really look forward to England games. This Sunday I will be gardening.

Why? The game, to me, demonstrates all that is bad in human behavoir. Bad manners, no respect for authority, cheating etc etc.

No thanks.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Sorry, can't agree with you guys. I love football, and being a Birmingham City supporter since god was a lad, believe me you need to be keen. Can't say its ever interfered with my fishing though. I must admit that the modern supporter, or at least the rougher sort, do offend my sense of sportsmanship.

Tim Rogers

Reaction score
Best game in the world,Good luck to the boys at the WOLVES for next season

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I guess it's each to his own.

I played cricket for a number of years and then I became an umpire. I just loved being out on the cricket field. There is something so incredibly civilised about the game.

A rugby crowd are also great. No bad language, no tatooed skinheads. No hooliganism and very few police around.

I live quite close the Millmoor, the ground shared by Rotherham United and Rotherham Titans RFC. When Titans have a home game there are virtually no police nor hardly any litter left.

Not so with United. The ground can become a war zone, blood all over the place.

Up the Titans..... :eek:)

Strangley enough most of the players in this team are bloody South Africans.

J

jason fisher

soccer should be left to small boys and women,
rugby is a game for men,

to be honest can't find anything in football to be proud of.
rom the attitude of the players to that of the hooligans who follow it.

J

jason fisher

or is it the difference in charachter required to play the 2 games which puts rugby so far ahead of football.

brian robson frequently couldn't captain england because of a dislocated shoulder.
keith wood on the other hand dislocated his shoulder in the first half of a rugby match,
but not wanting to let his irish team mates down had the team doctor put it back into place and played on to complete the game.
That displays charachter.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Simple:

Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen.

Soccer is a gentlemans game played by hooligans.... :eek:)

J

John Hepworth

Not quite right Ron;
Rugby Union is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen??
Rugby League is a game for MEN played by Pitmen, or was BT.[Before Thatcher])

To days 'football' is, in the main, a game that used to be played by sportsmen, but is now played by idiots and thugs who, if they were not playing 'professional football? would most likely be locked up for their drunken, racist and loutish behaviour.

J

John Hepworth

Dislocated shoulders:-
I remember many years ago a great winger who played for Wakefield Trinity, Fred Smith. The poor chap had retired but came back to help them out during a period of excessive injuries to regular team players. Fred had his shoulder put back twice whilst lying on the pitch, with about 15 minutes of the game left he then suffered a broken leg - needles to say he never came back.

R

Rod MacAskill

I used to really enjoy going to football matches as a youth on a Saturday and then going fishing on a Sunday, all paid for from a weekly paper round. These days I still enjoy watching football but am not prepared to pay extortionate prices for 90 minutes play compared to the cost of a day's fishing. In fact , taking this into account it still amazes me how some people still moan about the price of a fishing permit for the day.

I

Ian Whittaker 1

Lovely perspective Rod.
Like fishing , once football is in your blood its hard to remove it.
Burnley FC - forever a Claret.
Ron, your just embarassed to admit you're a Miller!Come out of the rusty closet man!
Mcindoe keep taking your tablets!!