No licence required

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
We regularly have topics concerning the use and abuse of licences on this site and yesterday I came across this little gem.

New forest water park, Hucklebrook lakes, Ringwood. Looks a nice fishery too BUT:

Tactics. No nuts, no braided lines, no shock leaders and NO ROD LICENCE REQUIRED.

I should imagine the EA bailiff would have a field day if he visited this fishery, its obviously aimed at holiday makers, but is it illegal to encourage people to break the law?

See:- www.go-fish.co.uk/venue_4255.htm

W

Wolfman Woody

Perhaps Mark Jury 01425 656868 should be given a call to tell him.

You need a rod licence to fish in your own garden pond. Perhaps conspiracy to pervert the course of justice? well it will frighten him at least.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Is it not possible that Hucklesbrook has a general license? These were common in this area many years ago. The EA would be aware of their advertising.

F

Frothey

a trout lake i used to fish didnt need a licence - they also had a halidaymakers pond where people would come to catch their own fish to eat. maybe they just build the cost of a day rod licence into their ticket?

J

john conway

There use to be something about the size of the water and whether or not it had both an in-let and out let, if neither then you didn’t need a licence? But there again this may be open of those stories passed down over time that becomes fact by the frequency of the telling?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Didn't know there was such a thing as a site licence, but there again I'm never too old to learn. I could maybe understand them building the price of a weekly licence into the cost of a day ticket but surely that means form filling and giving you the actual licence. At ?6 for a day ticket I would doubt that this is the case at this particular fishery.

John you're right it is an old wives tale, you need a licence to fish in your back garden whether a stream runs thru it or not.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Cant see how they get away with it,like whats already been writen i thought you needed a licence to fish your own goldfish pond.

Think the best way would be to allow the owners to sell rod licences on a day or weekend basis,let them earn a quid or 2 for selling them.

Then make the rule of show your licence before being able to buy a ticket to fish.
Then if someone is caught without a rod licence both the angler and the site owners should be fined.

Andy Glanville

Reaction score
i agree that you should perhaps contact the EA and let them no, as they will be able to deal with situation if needed.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Try again. The local EA book "Hooked" clearly states that you must have a rod license to fish for salmon, trout, freshwater fish eels etc UNLESS the water is covered by a GENERAL license. This means that on that water alone you do not need a rod license. I reckon Hucklesbrook is covered by this, and the EA will know about it. The cost is factored into the price of day tickets.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark,
I was wondering about that myself but couldn't find a link.

However, if this is the case, I have to wonder if there is a discount for those of us in posession of a current license?

If not, then this surely is a scam!

I have seen this water as it is adjacent to one of CAC's lakes and personally would not want to fish somewhere in competition with the water ski enthusiasts.

Still, as I have said before; Each to their own.

B

Budgie Burgess

Bewl Water used to have a "block license" that meant you were covered if you brought a day ticket.Dont know if the EA still do these as this was in the days of the Water Authorities.