In Graham's absence

M

Maria Thomas

HI all,

I just want to double check that no-one else on the forum has received the email below. It might just be that I have received it because my email address is plastered on the front of the site. But if someone is trying to dig round to get the email addresses of FM members I want to know about it because we'd certainly have something to say about it.
Hi,

I saw your message on:
http://www.fishingmagic.com/
and thought you might be interested in a new website called LocalNotices.co.uk?

LocalNotices.co.uk is a online noticeboard facility aimed at the local community. It allows local people to pin notices on to their town/city's noticeboard.

As well as pinning your notice up I thought it might be useful for posting local events,?small ads?or looking for volunteers. We are also very interested in hearing about your stories and perhaps even interviews with your local heros!

Just think of the website as the noticeboard at your local corner shop or supermarket, except people both your local community and thousands of people across the country can see it!

Also, we are giving away the chance to win a digital camera from Sony, just for pinning a notice on the site

Look forward to seeing your notices on the website.

Regards,
Steve

LocalNotices.co.uk

M

Mike Heylin

Yes Maria. I had it a couple of days ago and our publicity manager is putting up a notice for our club.

However I am pretty certain that they have been trawling the web for suitable email addresses to get their first message out to.

D

Deck Monkey

I would avoid them on principle as using a bot to trawl for addresses is an insidious tactic used by spammers. In fact, as an unsolicited email went from within the UK, that guy is breaking the law as far as I'm aware.

W

Wolfman Woody

Nothing here, but it go straight to the "round file" if I did get one.

J

jason fisher

nope not recieved it which is surprising because if there's spam going round i usually get it.

S

Steve King

I don't think I received it, but then the anti spam software has been working overtime of late!

I have been having a quick peek at the spam before deleting it and I can't recall a message like that, but with up to 30ish spams per day I could have overlooked it.

M

Maria Thomas

Ok, so it seems to be just Mike. Mike, did you have your email posted up anywhere on the forum do you know?
I'm just trying to work out whether he's just taken email addresses that have been posted in full on the site somewhere or whether something more sinister is going on.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

F

Fred Bonney

I haven't seen it,but I would think that only people signed up for fM could mail you.
Unless,you've made your address public on the site!

F

Frothey

i mean has anyone on surmagic/other magicalia sites had it?

F

Fred Bonney

oops!I would expect that none of us could be mailed the same way as our addresses are not available.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Maybe they can hack in to the database ....