Floating Mainlines

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good, reliable floating line around 6 to 9lb for trotting for Barbel?

I've always been a fan of Bayer Perlon for trotting, but I can only find up to 4.4lbs line strength.

I've tried the usual Carp lines (Soft Steel, Big Game, even Maxima) with silicone spray, but they don't pick up well enough on the strike.

S

Shrek

Drennan Float Fish goes up to about 8lb I think. This is what I use for my trotting work and it's not let me down yet.

Failing that, it might be worth looking into braid instead of mono. Some of the guys on the site use it wouldn't switch back. I don't know enough about it to be able to suggest brands and breaking strains but I would have thought your local tackle shop might be able to, or others on the site.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Thanks Adrian - I ended up using 10lb Krystonite with regular toppings of silicone spray and it worked pretty well.

By the way, isn't it annoying that nowadays, when you go into most tackle dealers, if you're not wanting tackle for fishing Commercial Carp Pools, there's very little there for you!