predatory carp

G

gary magee

Just how much of a carps diet is made up by smaller fish.

R

Rob Brownfield

I have seen carp hit shoals of Roach fry up here in Scotland. I have also seen them go mad over tadpoles/baby frogs, and on one occasion, landed a 14 pounder on a half herring pike bait!

I know of fellow lure anglers who have caught them on various spinners etc, and the Americans diliberatly fish for them using jigs and shad baits.

I think a lot depends on the water, if its rich in natural food, then i think predation is not so apparent, but, a Carp will not pass up an easy food source. I think a lot of out fish do feed on others, its just that we never really know because of the methods we fish (Yanks use lures far more than us)

P

PAUL DRAKE

An interesting question.Dont Konw about Carp but my dad's mate caught a 6lb Tench whilst spinning for Pike and Perch.

C

Chris Bishop

I've had one deadbaiting a few years back - reckon it was around 8lb.

I've seen a couple of articles on lure fishing for them with little spinners or soft jigs etc.

When I kept fish in tanks (years ago...) they would almost invariably start eating any of their number which died.

Years ago, Peter Stone said that the angler who used deads all season might be astonished by his results (poor paraphrasing but you get the gist...)

S

Stewart Bloor

I had a 12.4 mirror a couple of years ago while pike fishing sprat.

C

Carp Angler

When I used to eel fish extensively, the biggest 'nuisance' fish was always the carp.
Certain lakes were worse than others, which supports Robs point about it being dependent on the natural food.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I think a lot of species take smaller fish more often than we know. I have heard of tench caught in a river on a deabait in December, carp on deads, bream on spinners and lures, roach on trout type fry pattern lures etc. Loads of examples. Could be a whole new world for the pioneering type.

R

Rob Brownfield

Dave...it is!!...Some of use more mentally challenged lure anglers are targeting unusual species with all sorts of rubber creations from the States.

C

Chris Bishop

I've long thought a lot of the dropped takes you get on lives and deads are other species.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris...eels are a bugger up by me...they either suck the flesh off of sardines etc, or give screaming runs that u cant hit.

Of...and pesky Trout too...biggest so far is an 11 pound Brown Trout on a live Trout

C

Chris Bishop

I caught a trout from a Thames weir on a livie years ago - must have been four or five pounds, went like a rocket.

I agree about eels, total nightmare. I've missed takes, reeled the bait in and literally had a few shreds of skin and a bit of bone on the hooks.

Hooked one last summer but it straightened the hooks on the trace (!). Quite glad I didn't land that one as I hate the things.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, Loch Ness contains freash water eels that would make u tremble with fear! Eels up to 20 pound have been taken in screens there.
Scary stuff...and divers have reported bigger

C

Chris Bishop

Hoew people can fish for them by choice is totally beyond me. Good bait though.

R

Rob Brownfield

Well...maybe its the power...a 5 pound eel is sooooo damn strong...maybe it is a sexual thing...lol...like big cars....mine is bigger than yours :O)

G

gary magee

I`ve had 6lb+ Tench on whole squid dead baits mounted on size 4 hooks meant for Catfish.they started at the tenticles and worked their way up.

P

Paul Williams

Rob,
Has anyone actually seen one of these Loch Ness eels?.....i have heard of this before but the only eels in the flesh as it where are those two dead conger found on the shore......20lb freshwater eel....mind bogling.
I actually enjoy fishing for and catching them, well at least big ones!

G

gary magee

I used to think carp anglers had a screw loose until I met some Eel anglers.. absolute fanatics.

D

David Will

I have caught several Barebel on minnows.As kids we did an awful lot of spinning, we caught the odd Chub Bream and Rudd on tiny Mepps but so few that i would not specifically target non? predators.

R

Rob Brownfield

Paul, the eels have been seen by local divers mainly. I have heard of much bigger fish, but have dis-counted theses as I was told about them by a rather drunk trawlerman. I also believe that they have been found in traps etc up to 25 pound in weight.

I have been fortunate enough to have seen underwater film of the shores of Ness, and it is riddled with caves, crevasses and holes, and there were eels swimming that I swear were at least 10 pound, posibly a wee bit bigger. I am going to have a word with some of the fishery research places up here and see if i cant get some real confirmation.

I will keep u informed.

The theory is that the loch is so deep and cold that the eels think they are in the sea, and therfore never migrate to spawn and hence grow and grow. Is that possible?

P

Paul Williams

Rob,
In all honesty i don't think that any of us know what is possible with the eel, but i am one of those weirdo's that actually enjoys fishing for big ones (4lb+)i think is something to do with the fact we know so little and the next one i catch could be something really special, we simply do not know how big they can grow to in the UK......i have a feeling though that something special could get caught in the next few years.